"Floppy" shifter

I have a 94 GMC van 350/auto. The shifter on the column is "floppy", loose(?). I think it was forced from Park at some time without stepping on the brake. Where would I look to repair this? Inside the top of the steering wheel? Would I need to remove the whole column. Any input would be appreciated. WtrBob

Reply to
rraudenbush

Shep

If it is "floppy" when moving it back and forth toward the steering wheel/Dash it could be that the spring between the shift lever and the housing is broken or missing. It should pull toward the wheel and when you let go it should spring back with no problem.

Reply to
Steve W.

The shifter just seems loose. It does have a spring action but the whole thing seems loose or maybe it's well worn but I just don't know how to "tighten" it up. Wtrbob

Reply to
rraudenbush