Gas vs Diesel

nope... a "Jake" or Jacobs engine brake works by actuating the exhaust valve just before TDC on the power stroke... this allows the engine to absorb as much energy as possible by compressing the air, then releasing it through the exhaust. this prevents the piston from regaining energy from the compressed air in the non firing cylinder. a compression brake can absorb upwards of 400HP. this is what the big boys use and gives you the staccatto rumble.

an exhaust brake works by building exhaust pressure that the engine must fight against. this gives "compression braking" comperable to a gas engine of equivelent size. (gas engines's intake throttle blades performs more or less the same function when closed). when actuated, these just kind of hiss.

check out

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I hope to hell you're talking about running alchohol, AVgas, or propane... at 17psi and 10:1 on 93 octane you'll pound the ring lands off the pistons in 2 or 3 WOT runs. I'd run 9:1 at the absolute most.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

this guy builds Supercharged engines for people;

All over the country and export too. He has to know what he's talking about?

He runs a local Top Fuel dragster, and a gasoline Supercharged Camaro, 454 with 10to1 Childs and Alberts pistons.

All I can say is what I was told. That's why I stopped talking, because Demon asked a question where I knew I wasn't experienced enough to answer.

Refinish King

message

Reply to
Refinish King

Daily driven '98 mustang Cobra, 12-14 psi boot, 10:1 on 91 octane. 48lb injectors will solve the fuel lean out condition past 5,000rpm. Once that is fixed, it will be time for 16-17 psi boost, and CO2 fogger on the intercooler. The owner of this beast (my friend) said its under warranty up to 20psi boot PLUS nitrous. Its currently putting out 600HP, and is driven to work every day. As long as you have proper cooling of the intake air, as well at the combustion chamber, I think 17psi on 93 at 10:1 can be done. Just make sure that fuel supply is up to the task! You don't want to lean out with that much boost! I am also hoping this is NOT a stock bottom end.

Reply to
Trey

Nope.. but Dodges concern (I can't find any info on Ford) is the transmission.. From what I can understand with my limited knowledge of automatics is that when the computer applies the jake, the torque converter has to lock up, or it could somehow damage the tranny... Dodge has a few pages talking about reworking the computer module or something in the automatic to make this happen.. hopefully for the 05

1/2 model year..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

Banks has a system to take care of this issue. Banks mentions that Dodge and Ford need their lockup kit with the exhaust brake on the automatics, but Chevy trucks with the Alison do not need the kit since the Alison has the "tow/haul" mode that takes care of it.

Reply to
Trey

That's good news in general, but for me, it's still an issue of Dodge & Ford not warranting it yet..

It's scary enough shopping for $35,000+ pickups without voiding the warranty on the tranny... especially with the Dodge, where I'm already a little worried about tranny problems with the CTD..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis