GM NV4500

Does anyone in the group have any experience with the GM NV 4500 five speed manual transmission? I recently purchased a rebuilt one and installed it in my '84 Chev Blazer. Ran great for about 4 months. Than the problems began. Started to make this thrashing sound, like some bearing was sorta giving way. Then about a month ago, the 3rd gear synchro began giving me problems. Today I parked it in the garage at home so as not to drive it. Fortunately, it is still under warranty and the outfit I bought it from is going to honor their warranty. But it means another R/R. The old four speed I took out was practicly bullet proof. Have I screwed up by replacing the 4 speed? Am I going to continually have problems with the 5 speed. It sure is great to have the 0.70 final gear ratio when on the hi-way. This is my daily driver. Any wisdom to be shared would be greatly appreaciated!

Thanks to the group, Willis

Reply to
Willis Layton

the NV4500 is an EXTREMELY stout transmission... sounds like your trans wasn't aligned properly with the engine and toasted the input bearing. did you use a belhousing for the NV4500 or did you reuse the

4 speed's bellhousing?

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase