GM steering clunk

Took my '03 Sierra into the dealer a while back and asked them to check out a clunking sound I could feel in the steering wheel when turning. They said it was a known problem with the steering linkage (or something) and they would have to order a part and that they would contact me when it came in. Last week, I get a post card saying that my part was in and to call to make an appointment.

I call the guy and he isn't sure what I'm calling about but makes an appointment. I bring it in and within a 1/2 hour they are done and the ticket says that they no longer replace the intermediate steering shaft but rather they just lube it per bulletin no. 1558063 E7700. I asked WTF and he explained that GM doesn't allow them to replace the shaft anymore because it doesn't really fix the problem. Rather, they take it apart and use a new lube and it fixes it.

I haven't had time to check the bulletin yet but was wondering what others are experiencing with this.

Thanks, Rosscoe

Reply to
Rosscoe

I had the intermediate steering shaft replaced under waranty in my '04 for exactly the same issue, and I can attest to the fact that it indeed did not fix the problem. Frankly, I don't think it's in the intermediate shaft at all - it feels more like in the tie rods, steering stabilizer, idler arm area. I honestly believe it is more closely connected to the parts that connected to the wheels because I notice that I never feel it in the steering wheel, but hear it in the steering or suspension components when I am turning at very slow speed and go over a small bump.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Reply to
Jessie Herrera

Follow this link for answeres to the intermediate shaft service bullitens. The grease packing was the old fix. The new service bulliten is to replace the shaft with a redesigned one.

Dave

I recently had my interm. steering shaft replaced under warranty(02). Although, I only have a few K miles on it since then, it seems to have fixed the problem so far. I would insist on new part or go to another dealer. MR

Reply to
MR

I just had my Intermediate Steering shaft replaced on my '03 Yukon under warranty. I've only driven about 250 miles, but it seems to have done the job. I had the original steering shaft lubed 4 times with the last one only lasting 200 miles before the noise came back.

Regards,

LoloMan

Reply to
Isidoro Pulido