Help: 1989 Full size Chevy Blazer rear U-Joints.

I need to replace the original rear U-Joints on my 1989 Full Size Chevy Blazer. I was looking at them and noticed that they do not have the usual circlips but instead there is some sort of plug or pin going into the side of the bearing cups. How do I take these apart myself if possible. I do not have a torch if heat is needed. How are the cups held in place on original. If I replace with after market ones will there be clips or do they have to be secured like the originals?

It's strange I have the complete comprehensive factory service manuals. There is a complete section on the propeller shaft and how to balance it, check it for run-out, and how to completely replace the propeller shaft, but there is absolutely no mention on how to just replace the universal joints alone? WTF!

Thanks Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

There is a small ring cut inside and nylon is melted and forced in. You should see a tiny stub sticking out opposite sides where they squirted it in. You supposed to be able to heat up with one of those little propane torches, but I've never been able to get it to melt out without forcing the u-joint and knocking the shaft out of balance.

Reply to
Eugene

It's about time for you to get that torch, Rocky.....go get a MAPP gas one instead of propane - it's *much* hotter and will get that job (and many more) done without even thinking about it.

Wear eye protection (if not a full face shield) while you're heating that stuff up, it likes to pop and shoot hot plastic out.....once you get *all* the plastic out, you should be able to get the old joint out with a big C-clamp and a couple of appropriate sockets....

Remember, putting the new ones in - they've gotta be perfectly clean, and stuff 'em with enough new grease once you get it installed. Keep 'em greased and they'll last another 15 years....

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Here is what I was able to do. I used an oxy-acetylene torch with a welding tip. By using the very smallest tip in my set I just heated the centre of the bearing caps red hot and watched as the plastic came boiling out of the u-joint. First i heated one and the then the opposite one and then I was able to take them apart the old fashioned way with a vise and sockets. The first one cooled off while I concentrated on the next one but the plastic was sufficiently weakened to get the job done. by using the small tip and NOT heating the yoke itself there was only damage done to the parts that were being thrown out anyway.

Gordie

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl