U-joint Question

I have a 40 year old German vehicle with a power take-off shaft that has U-joints at each end. I have never run the PTO, and am now restoring the rest of the vehicle.

How can I inspect assembled U-joints? Is there some way to measure play in the joints? Or should I pull the retainer clips and completely strip the bearings apart and then solvent wash everything? I would like to save the old joints, as these are an odd size and may be very hard to replace with new.

Thanks,

Ed

Reply to
Ed Price

Do they have grease fittings? If so i'd just flush with new grease. If not I think you know what you ought to do, if you plan on using the PTO...

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

Now I'm curious - is this not a tractor?

If the joint is easy to disassemble, why not just do that and know for sure? You can reassemble dry and find out how much wear there is. And for PTO use the amount of wear may be tolerable.

|I have a 40 year old German vehicle with a power take-off shaft that has |U-joints at each end. I have never run the PTO, and am now restoring the |rest of the vehicle. | |How can I inspect assembled U-joints? Is there some way to measure play in |the joints? Or should I pull the retainer clips and completely strip the |bearings apart and then solvent wash everything? I would like to save the |old joints, as these are an odd size and may be very hard to replace with |new. | |Thanks, | |Ed |

Reply to
Rex B