How to adjust the torsion bars

I would like to know how to adjust the torsion bars on my 2001 1500HD Silverado 4x4. All I would like to do is adjust them enough so that I can run BFG A/T tires in a P285/75R/16. I am currently running P265/75R/16 on it now and they barely clear the fender on the front. Some times they do hit when I am turning and hit a bump.

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
jeff.standlee

If a 265 is hitting during turns the 285s will hit even harder. Jacking the nose with the torsion bars is a REALLY bad idea since they only have about 1" of adjustment anyway and that is just to adjust the ride height into the correct range. If you do crank them up expect to need an alignment and increased wear on the front CV joints. If you want to do it right get a lift kit that will drop the front diff and correct the drive angles. Good luck whatever you decide.

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

I think you should check for mechanical troubles first. Mine is a 99, so its basically the same truck. The 265's are a size that belongs on that truck and shouldn't hit. I've had 305/70's on mine and they didn't rub.

Reply to
George

Follow the torsion bar back. You will come to the adjustment bolts. Jack up the front of the truck a bit, thereby reducing the weight on the torsions. Now tighten up the bolts a couple of times. If its not up enough tighten it a bit more. Take measurements in the biginning. Use your imagination where to take the measurements from. You shouldnt lift the truck anymore than 1" to 1.5". Anymore than that and your front end is going to ware out to quickly.

Reply to
snay

In theory you are supposed to unload the t-bars with a tool before you adjust them but at very least raise front end to suspension stop. Also, I recommend you lube the threads on bolt before you adjust them because they can rust with age if not lubed and strip out threads when you adjust them.

Reply to
TheSnoMan