It's Grinding >.<

I bought an '87 S-10 4x4 Blazer Tahoe with the 2.8 V6 and 224K on it. The Motor runs like it's brand new right off the Showroom floor. The ol' Woman that owned it took decent care of it, but never used the 4 wheel drive on it. I got it for a very nice price, and drove it home, only to find that the 4 wheel drive dont work...at least not the way I thought it was supposed to work. Here is the procedure needed to get it into low or high 4 wheel drive: (#1) Turn Key without starting the Motor, place Transmission in Neutral, then grab the little shifter on the floor and then push the button down and place in selected range. (#2) Then return the Transmission selector to Park. (#3) now turn the Ignition Key and start the Motor. With the Motor running you can not do any of the following: Change from 2 high to 4 low. Change from 2 high to 4 high. Change from 4 low to 2 high. Change from 4 high to 2 high. If you do, it will grind like you were going 70 miles an hour and just reached up and threw it into Park...yeah, it grinds that bad. ... Does anyone know why this is happening ? I'm totally stumped, as this is my first go-around as far as being a 4x4 owner and running into this kind of grinding noise while trying to Shift, since I first learned how to drive a Stick Shift 30 years ago...and even then I cant remember ever hearing such a racket coming from under a Truck.

Hit me back here, or directly at: tcc187620..........m if you have a clue as to what to do short of taking it out in the woods and shooting it.

Thank you, in advance, for your time concerning thhis matter of great importance.

Tokie

Reply to
Tokie

Do you have the owner's manual for the S-10? Here's what in mine for a 91 S-10:

You can shift from 2 wheel to 4 HIGH or 4 HIGH to 2 wheel without pressing the shift button Your front axle will engage faster if you take foot off the gas for a few seconds after you shift

To shift into or out of 4 LOW or N

  1. Stop and shift your transmission into neutral
  2. Press the transfer case shift lever button and shift in one continuous motion Don't pause in N as you shift into 4 LOW
Reply to
Ken