lost power stering and brakes

i have a 2002 chevy 2500 silverado alison/duramax. Last night lost both power stering and power brakes at the same time. what went wrong. Anyone?

Reply to
dbird10

Shep

Belt is on. pulleys are turning. has fluid. I am reading on TheDieselPage that it is most lightly the Hydroboost unit. Aparently GM is aware that they are junk. Thanks for geting back to me.

Reply to
dbird10

Junk? Not likely. The HydroBoost system has only been around since the early 50's.

I'm betting your pump has failed. Pull the belt off and see if the shaft is still in one piece. If it was the Hydro Boost unit you would have lost the power brakes only.

Reply to
Steve W.

O.K. I will check for sure.

Reply to
dbird10

..

I loosened up the belt. the pulley for the PS will come forward about

11/2" I might have being able to take it out compleatly, the shaft seems to be coming out with the pully. does this mean the shaft is broken and I need a new pump.
Reply to
dbird10

I'm guessing you got away without cracking up yourself or your truck. That's always good to hear. Good luck. Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

I loosened up the belt. the pulley for the PS will come forward about

11/2" I might have being able to take it out compleatly, the shaft seems to be coming out with the pully. does this mean the shaft is broken and I need a new pump.
Reply to
Shep

Yup, Either the shaft has broken or the pump assembly inside has come apart. That shaft should only move about 1/16" at most. You need a new pump.

Reply to
Steve W.

Belt is on. pulleys are turning. has fluid. I am reading on TheDieselPage that it is most lightly the Hydroboost unit. Aparently GM is aware that they are junk. Thanks for geting back to me.

Hydro's are probably the best brake system ever designed for this size truck.

Reply to
David & Robin Johnson