More stall wanted in late model truck.

Anyone out here running a higher stall in their late model truck?

I'm looking to put in a Yank 2600, or a 3000. I'm having a heck of a time deciding on which one.

It'll be going in my '04 Silverado SS. Mods this year will only include a cat back, the converter, and a mild cam (under 220/220 duration). Next season will probably bring headers and possibly a shot of nitrous.

I'm looking to have a healthy street-strip truck, that can do everything it did stock - just as well, if not better.

Everyone I talk to recommends the 3K, but most of them are ET-driven. I need to hear from someone more on the street side of things.

The evil side of me wants the 3000 to take advantage of the AWD, and pull regular RWD's out of the hole.

The conservative side reminds me that I'll do a bit of moderate weight towing (5,000lbs), and I don't want a loose feeling truck with a loud exhaust, around town.

Can I get some thoughs on this?

Thanks,

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

if you're going to tow, you do NOT want a higher stall convertor as it'll overheat the fluid and cook the tranny in short order. towing benefits from a stall lower than stock, a higher stall will greatly reduce your ability to tow.

now if you just want to be a stoplight warrior with an empty bed, drop in a high stall convertor.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks Bret,

The converters I'm looking at use the large/factory lockup clutch, so above 35mph or so, I'll be locked up. They're built similar to the 11" converters used in the Trailblazers and Envoys, so they're quite tight for the rated stall. Nothing like a loose

9" converter, from what I hear.

I agree with the slipping, especially with the 3K converter. I asked around, and I haven't found anyone with any problems.

I've got a facotry tranny cooler, and temp gauge, but I'll be installing an 11x11 inch cooler once the snow melts. As it is, my tranny gauge barely registers more than 100*F in stop and go traffic in the winter here.

I found a great deal on the 2600 stall - and I hear it's extremely well mannered around town. A few even reported towing was much better at low speeds, so I'll give this one a try.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind