OT: John Deer 60

I have a JD 60 with a 8hp rear engine. It's the one with no fenders and the motor is behind the seat. Got it free last year and came with bagger and etc.

Cleaned it up, change dthe oil and air filter and cleaned up the deck and greased everything.

Ran like a champ all last year. Just touch the key and it would start. Now you have to kill the battery running the starter until it finally starts. When running it surges once in a while. Then it started dying when you put it under a load. Idles great. Turn on the blades and it cuts out. Let go of the clutch and it's all it can do to run while mowing.

Any ideas? It smokes every time I start it. Could the plug be fouled already?

Lannie

PS DOC??? You're the small engine pro now....

Reply to
LS

1st thing I'd look at would be the carb... dirty, clogged, sticking, out of adjustment, etc...

They're pretty basic, so you usually look for simple problems..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

I would check for sediment in the fuel tank and try fresh gas. Remo

Reply to
Remo

That usually works for me too. Old gas sitting all winter can mess up even a new mower. The last four push mowers I got came from the scrap yard. Cleaned them out and gave most of them to my in-laws, all are still running.

The best advice I could give them was to leave the mower running after the last cutting of the season to run all the gas out. Then DON'T wrap the motor up in plastic. Mine sat all winter uncovered under a Lilac bush. Filled the tank, primed the carb, pulled the rope three times and was on my way.

I do the same for my rider too. It's an eighteen year old Murray! It's seen better days, but the motor still runs good.

RJ in WV

Reply to
RJ in WV

Fresh gas every start of the season after cleaning the carb(or at least looking to see if it needs a cleaning), new spark plug and new oil!

Reply to
Shades

Siphon all of the old gas out of the gas tank, and add fresh gas with fuel stabilizer. If she still runs like ass, checkthe carb adjustment screw, as they tend to wiggle loose over time (loose=rich IIRC) and bog her out real bad. Plugs will definitely need cleaned once she's fired up.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Didyou put Sta-Bil in gas last fall. ??????

Reply to
Digit

I've mowed my yard 8 times already so the tank has been dry several times yet this spring. Downside to the 4 step Scotts program, is the mowing every two days!!

Not only was the spark plug fouled, it was the wrong one!!! Put the right one in and bam, runs awesome. That John Deere is running as smooth as a Sears Craftsman now. :)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Lannie

Reply to
LS

I put our in the cellar. Starts first pull every time. I put our snow blower in the cellar. Starts first pull every time. No additives, no draining of the gas. Guess I'm just lucky?

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

I've never drained the fuel. They sit in the shed all winter, month at a time under 0 temps.

Normally start on the first try. This is the first time I had trouble and I think it was due to having the wrong plug in there in the first place. :) I have a cheap Menards Yard machine push mower. $99. Pushed the primer three times and half a pull started it. I've never seen a gummed up carb in any of my stuff since 78, so I'm lucky too I guess. :)

The only gummed up thing was a snow blower and it was given to me in that condition.

LS

Reply to
LS