{OT:} LET IT SNOW!!!!

After paying $100 for an 8HP AMF snowblower, and another $85 to get it running, I only used it twice since last January. This year it would just NOT stay running. I yanked the carb, cleaned it out, changed the oil, made adjustments; I finally got the engine running nice and smooth...until it encountered snow. Then it would stall right out. Governor...I'll find out.

After throwing up my hands I found a NEW 8HP motor on E-Bay, Buy It Now for $259, and the guy gave me a break on shipping since he's less than 75 miles from here. Man! Bolted right on, right shaft, etc. Oiled it, sprayed some Marvel into the cylinder and pulled the rope a few times, added some gas and VAROOOOOOOM! Nice! The bottom end is in good shape, so I figured a motor was better than a whole new blower. This is at least $120 less then the best web price I saw for an 8HP, and $600 less than a new blower.

Now, as much as I hate to see it (esp after 2 days near 60 degrees), I suppose ONE good storm wouldn't hurt...;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Think of all the carbon dioxide and unbourned hydrocarbons that didn't get into the atmosphere.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I try to keep all my engines running as efficiently as possible.

Huh? Oh, screw the environment! I just want to save money on gas and parts!

Reply to
Hachiroku

So, Hachi, you want it to snow huh? Just for you, I'll take the plow off the truck this afternoon. Enjoy.

Reply to
user

ROFL! That will sure do it! Of course, I could pull the Supra out of the garage, start going through it, and wash it and wax it. That will insure another 6 weeks of winter! (Punxsutawney Phil!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I've had the same experience a number of times. My 8 hp rototiller used to do the same thing. Sometimes it's the float. Sometimes it's a poor diaphragm. Sometimes it's condensation in the fuel tank. Other times it's because I can't figure out the hieroglyphics. (Which way is choke? Wouldn't it be better to show hand griping throat?)

BTW, AARP provides secondary insurance. Not primary insurance. Did they not explain this to you over the phone?

Reply to
mark digital©

I saw a snowblower with English and French nomenclature on it yesterday. It said "Choke" and "Etrangler" ("strangler...")

I checked the carb thoroughly. No problem found! That's why I was thinking it was the governor. And the new motor was so inexpensive, why bother?

I got to thinking today. The manual says change the oil every 5 hours. For me, that amounts to 2 snowstorms, depending on depth of snow!

My stepfather had one similar to the one I put the motor on. He had it 20 years. (Well, *I* had it 20 years, since getting rid of snow has ALWAYS been my chore. At least he was kind enough to buy me a $400 (1972 dollars) snowblower!) I took it after he couldn't use it anymore and ran it for three more years.

I think it had an oil change every year or two, whether it needed it or not! The motor was STILL running like a champ in '94 when it was stolen...

I went to the Web site.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Looks like I'm going to get my chance Saturday...

Reply to
Hachiroku