77 FI sort of starts won't run

This car hasn't run in 15 years. I have replaced fuel lines and cleaned injectors, replaced the double relay etc. etc. last night I tried to start it and lo and behold it came to life. I ran it for a while and drove it back and forth in the driveway. Today it won't run. It will start a bit but when you release the starter it stops. If I hold the air intake open with the ignition on I can hear the fuel pump running.

What should I be looking at next?

Reply to
<pnightin

One easy test: Find the ballast resistor pack; 4 ceramic tubes on fender well. Connect voltmeter from Ground to any of the resistor terminals. See if there is 12V during cranking AND when the key is released. This tests power to the ECU.

The signal from the points to the ECU is critical. I would just replace the points to be sure. Inspect the interior of the cap for carbon tracking or cracks. Ditto rotor.

Unlikely, but check the rubber boots for cracks or looseness.

Go:

Click on Library. Click on "F" for Fuel Injection. for some helpful articles.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Did you clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel filter? Maybe that new gas softened up some old residue and now it has clogged up some components. :-(

You will need these three things: Compression Fuel Ignition

I vote that it is a fuel issue again! So check the fuel pressure!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It turned out to be a wire that came loose from the coil. I don't know why I didn't spot it earlier.

Thanks for the quick responses that got me out looking at it.

Reply to
<pnightin

WOW I am still learning something new everyday! lol

Thanks Speedy..............

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1