PIAA Using OEM wiring/switch

Hi, just want to know if anyone out there have done this ... Is it ok if I tap my PIAA 40 series wiring to my existing fog lamps wire/switch? thanks!

Reply to
cj

Without a relay I imagine the switch will melt before too long. Be safe and use the factory switch to only power a relay for the lights. It is alot safer to do IMHO.

Reply to
Mr. Smith

Will it make a difference on what kind of car I`m tapping on. I have a `04 Tahoe which I believe have the same bulb wattage (55) I just finished installing the PIAA airdam and the 40 series lights and I was thinking if it would be OK for this truck if I just tap the wiring to my existing fog lamps wire/switch. Or should I use the PIAA switch that came with it. just want to make sure. thanks!

Reply to
cj

Reply to
Trey

Thanks! I think I will do that!

Reply to
cj

I would use a relay, plain and simple. The factory Multifunction switch IMHO is barley able to handle factory lighting. Adding more amps though that switch will definitely shorten its life.

I would power them off some kind of hot battery buss. The relay would get its power from this. I would power the relay from whatever circuit you could tap off. I would only do it from key on circuits so you don't run down the battery if you forget to turn them off.

Do not tap off the existing switch for those light unless at the least you get a melted switch or the worst a fire.

Since I modded my low and high beams with relays and tapping battery power from the hot buss next to the master cylinder on my 97 GMC my lights are brighter and I really enjoy all 4 lights on when my high beams are on. This mod cost me less than 20 bucks and I got the parts from Radio Shack.

Good Luck

Reply to
Mr. Smith