Plugwire / radio suppression?

What makes plug wire "high suppression"? OT because this also happens to be a Nissan.... 2001 Xterra... It's running fine and not setting any codes... but I'm hearing a tick coming through the FM reception. Sounds just like the tat tat tat (no whining) you get when a manifold gasket starts to leak, but definitely coming through the radio reception. My assumption is a bad plug wire?? I couldn't see any arching... of course, can't really see much on it.

Is it high resistance that makes it high suppression? Maybe one wire's resistance is too low (if it's not arching anywhere)? I'm going to at least check that all are fully seated on the cap and plugs. I'm wondering if there could be a break inside one of the wires so it's arching inside the wire itself?

I had it in for a brake job... wondering if I should be pushing for a tune-up based on this, or if something else can be causing the signal. It's definitely 1 tick per rev / changes with engine speed.

Reply to
In2hoppn

through the FM

manifold gasket starts to

bad plug wire?? I

resistance is too low (if

seated on the cap and

it's arching inside the

based on this, or if

changes with engine

Try spraying some silicone waterproofing on the wires 1 at a time and see when (if) the ticking noise quits.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart