Radio noise

I have just started driving a 96 Dodge Grand Caravan. The radio has a terrible static problem only when running. I have asked around and the general thought is the plugs or wires is causing it. It did have a tune-up about 4 months ago. Could this be causing it? What kind of plugs or wires do I need? It is clear as a bell when the van is not running.

Reply to
kendall ray

Modern engines use resistor suppression plugs and wires. Look right on the wire itself it's probably labeled "SUPPRESSION" It would be very unusual for someone to use the non-resistive variety.

First thing you need to do is this. Park you car, turn it on, get a cheap AM radio, wave the radio around the front of the car. If you get the same terrible static as the inside radio, then it's radiation from some part in the ignition system. It would be that someone broke a plug wire internally while tugging on it, instead of the boot. And of course it could also be the plug wires or plugs.

If however the AM radio does not have the terrible static then the interference is travelling from the ignition system through the wires in the car to the radio. One of the biggest causes is bad grounding, check all grounds for corrosion. It could also be that the noise suppression power filters in the radio are not working. You can try another radio from a wrecker to check this.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt