Post-1998 Suburbans That Use Same V-8?

2 problems with my '98 'Burb:

- Front diff got fried by a bad tow and I'm not confident in the repair - and getting stuck on the beach is a stone bummer (muuuuy expensivo tows... predatory, even)

- Roof is rusting out around the roof rack bolts - and I'm a heavy roof-rack user.

OTOH, the engine's always had synthetic in it and seems sound at

175k.

It recently dawned on me that, since they're destroying the engines on cash-for-clunkers trade-ins, maybe I could come by a newer-everything-except-the-engine Suburban and have my '98's engine bolted over into it.

Is this notion even remotely practical?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I think they are chopping all the turned in clunkers. The only way to get a turned in vehicle is thru the underground, and I'm sure VIN swapping is happing. All they need to do is take a VIN from a totaled vehicle and slap it on a clunker, and the clunkers vin goes on the totaled vehicle. Crush, chomp cant tell the difference. (of course options need to match) The clunker gets a new engine and sold as rebuilt. (Salvaged title or whatever )

Give the local junk (scrap?) yard a visit. ($$$) After all they say if the body's good the engine can be replaced....

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

They are not allowed to sell the engine, the transmission or their parts, nor the remainder whole, only the non-engine/non-transmission parts individually. You can't just buy the truck minus engine and transmission. With the renewal, it is possible that we will instantly loose almost

750,000 vehicles from the system, driving up used vehicle prices. yup, this will help the economy and I also have some ocean front property in Arizona.

mike D.

Reply to
Michael Dobony