Re: 4WD problem

1998 GMC Jimmy auto transmission with 3 button push for 4 WD. 4.3

> engine. I was in 4WD and went to go out but it did not shift and went > to what I would call N. I had no power to any wheel. I put it in park > and hear a slight grinding and it when into 4WD. I managed to get it > home but it was like it popped out of drive and back to N and no power > to the wheels. > > I changed the ball looking vac switch on top or the trasnsfer switch > but still have the problem. It will not shift into 4WD then it went to > no power again. I put it P and after playing with the buttons it went > back to 2WD. > > Any ideas?

I had the '95 4WD SLE.

AFAIR, your vacumn actuator is shot. You need to check that.

Reply to
PerfectReign

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:29:26 -0800, PerfectReign cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Could very well be. It is worth disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes or so and then re-connecting it. The Jimmy and Blazer both get confused on rare occassion and this technique has been known to fix this problem. Certainly worth the investment in your time.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Sounds more like the encoder motor on the transfer case. The front actuator wouldn't make it have NO power to the wheels. Only a problem in the T-case can do that.

Reply to
Steve W.