Re: Mr. Badwrench

I don't even let others take my tires off. If I need them balanced or need

> new tires, I jack her up, take off all 4 wheels, throw em' in my other truck > and take them to the tire place. Alignments are the ONLY thing I let others > do as I simply don't have the equipment, and even then, I only take it to > one place that's a 2 hour drive from where I live now as I trust ONE > mechanic there. > > Lower balljoints? I'd yank the control arm and take it to a shop to have > the new ones pressed in, then put it back together myself. AT overhaul? > I'd yank it, put it in my other truck and drive to Gary Glaenzer's shop (or > maybe ship it there) and pay him to do it. > > It's not hard to find good help these days, it's IMPOSSIBLE. A peer of mine > just lost the motor in his new Grand Cherokee due to a Wal-Mart employee not > tightening the oil filter properly. Puked out all the oil within 5 miles > and she locked up. Honestly, how f**kin hard is it to tighten an oil > filter? These are guys that got fired from the toothpaste factory as they > couldn't quite master screwing the caps on the tubes.................. > > Basically, when a job comes up I don't have the tools for, I just buy the > tools and do it myself. > > Doc > >

Looks like you and I came from the same school Doc, except I'm not lucky enough to have that '2nd truck' to throw the tires and tranny into. *But* I do watch the guy that handles the wrench when he takes off my tires, and make sure he properly torques 'em back down. As for the tools, the way I see it - if I need it once, I'll need it again. :-)

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Oh now there's another can of works to be opened...................getting the wrong parts at the parts store. Like brake drums with 4 holes in them when you have 5 studs; I open the boxes on everything before I buy them to knock off a few trips...........

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

The '2nd Truck' is actually my wife's, a 98' Sonoma SLS with a big honkin' "Mary-Kay Cosmetics" sticker on the back window (the wifey's a beauty consultant). I try to avoid driving it during daylight hours and to the parts store at all costs. Nuthin' like pulling up to NAPA in your Dickies in a makeup mobile.

During my brake fiasco I drove her's to work for a week; the guys were giving me all sorts of shit for weeks thereafter.

I actually am in the market for an early 90's K2500, 6.5TD, extended cab; these damn appalachian roads are killing me in my 2WD during the snowy months.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I once owned a Fiat (stands for "Fix It Again Tony" according to a friend of mine named, um, Tony). That sorry little piece of crap had a million parts that were almost but not quite identical to those for all other models and years - (and none of which were interchangeable with one single other Fiat vehicle) - not so much that you could tell by looking, just enough so they weren't actually interchangeable. A large portion of my amazing vocabulary of poetic profanity was perfected while I owned that puke green little POS.

Reply to
Cricket

Hey Doc, is it MK Pink????

Reply to
Steve W.

Bwahahaha! Naw, it's ruby red. Pics are here:

snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net/album?.dir=/Trucks&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/psych snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

What I want to know Doc is whether you put on your makeup while driving this machine.

Reply to
Rich B

Haha... and then that 6.5 boat anchor will be killing your wallet ;-)

Sorry Doc... just had to say it. I just picked our '96 K3500 dually

6.5TD up from the shop today. Got the injection pump rebuilt for the SECOND time in 3 years. Hell it aint my money that goes into it... the boss has deep pockets ;-)

Maybe he'll wise up and buy a Cummins one of these days.

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Yeah, I've heard the injector pumps are prone to grenade. What's it run for a rebuild?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Naw, I might preen my eyebrows or beard in the mirror but no makeup...............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc I agree fully about opening all the boxes before leaving the store. But what really makes me pissed is when I bring in the origional part that I have just removed off the vehicle and they argue with me when they bring me the wrong part.

opened...................getting

Reply to
sidewinder

LOL. I know exactly what yer' talking about. If their stupid computer says it's part XYZ, it MUST be the right part. I went to get drums and rotors for my friend's Corolla once (4-bolt hubs), and the parts monkey brought me

5-bolt rotors and drums. Even AFTER I brought in the originals which I had in the bed of my truck, he still insisted that they were the right parts and that the owner must have done some "brake mods", hence the 4-bolt hubs.

NAPA usually seems to get it right the first time; I have the most problems with Autozone (Advance is a close second).

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I have more problems with Autozone bringing me out the wrong parts, less with them arguing with me - I think they're so stunned that some five foot tall woman who could be their mother and then some is reading them the riot act, they tend to back down. Napa guys are more accurate but also more convinced they're right when they're not. Except our nearest store - them I've got trained. ;>)

Reply to
Cricket

Yes.

All my friends that have them (6.5) say that they should buy those pumps in caselots.

Reply to
Chevguy