Doc got a Q for ya

Hey doc,

Will a ecm puter from a v-6 truck work on a v-8 engine if the chip is changed. People are telling me that I will have to put a puter from a v8 in when I go to put the tbi system on my sb400. I have found one puter from a v8 in a junk yard and they want 600 bucks for the damn thing. I am not sure how much they are new but I am really thinking of saving money and putting a carb on it now. I know it will take some fancy wire job to get everything changed over for the carb but after I buy bigger injectors and intake and all the happy little things I will need I will be in deep enough to where I can almost buy the multi-port injection system from edelbrock. It is getting also really tempting to just sell the truck and buy one with a v8 and drop the 400 in my jeep. I am already over 2 grand into the motor the wife is about to start cutting my budget on parts.

side

Reply to
sidewinder

AFAIK, they're identical except for the chip and the calpak/mempak. Tell your friends they're wrong and buy the cheaper ECM.

Sam

Reply to
GaWd

I thought he was wrong. I already have the v6 one installed in the truck so that saves me a few pennies.

Reply to
sidewinder

Doc. Isnt there a BIG core charge on ECMs?? That might throw a wrench in your $ estimate? If so I would check every junk yard in town and use it for a core. Might even get lucky and find the right one. I bought an updated eprom for my Sonoma form the dealer and it was only $60.

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
sidewinder

The CFM rating on a MPFI system is nothing to worry about; if you get the

1000 CFM system and run it on an engine that only needs 650 or so, it'll adjust the mixture accordingly based on sensor input. It's not like a carb that would have to be jetted down. The ECM will do all the work for ya.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Ugh, yeah forgot about the core charge..........................which is around $100. $195 still beats the shit outta $600 for one from the wrecker.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Yeah I am gonna probably just run a carb until I have enough pesos saved for the mpfi system. I have 2 edelbrocks and 3 holleys sitting on the shelf ranging from 450cfm to 750cfm so I should be able to find one that will work. I want the edelbrock mpfi so I am figuring it like this. If the wife thinks I am spending way too much money on gas she will let me get it to save on money. Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
sidewinder