Rear Differential cover gasket sealant or not?

Do I need to put a sealant on a rear differential cover gasket? I put a lock right in a few weeks ago and its the gasket is leaking now. I used just the gasket but wondered it this was one that needs sealant on it?

Reply to
Eugene

I never use a gasket, just RTV on rear end covers and I've never had a leak. all I do is give the RTV some time to cure before dumping in the 90W.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

The last diff work I did was in my old '00 S10 with the 8.5" gear.

I used a very thin layer of orange RTV on a new gasket, before putting things back together. I used just enough to create a tacky surface, not so much that it oozed out when tightened. It never leaked on me...

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind