removing stubborn BBC heads

I have started my first solo rebuild on a big block 396 that used to belong to my Dad. So far the heads are refusing to come off. I don't want to get too rough with them for fear of damaging the gasket surfaces or cracking them.

I tried a pry bar but it seemed to hold so well I know would have damaged it before it gave up. I have also tried using a length 2x4 for some leverage, wedging it under one head and one top of the other which, didn't seem to do anything.

Any tips? Thanks. Jake

Reply to
jake292

Seems like you may have missed getting all the bolts out,clean it up good see if you missed one. Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

Good Lord there are a lot of bolts in that thing. That was it. What a rookie mistake. Thanks.

Jake

bobby swift wrote:

Reply to
jake292

Did you remove the exhaust manifolds?

There are 4 bolts under them, and the top end bolts are lower than the bolts from the center.

Reply to
Refinish King