replacing transfer case front output shaft seal - can't get the seal retainer off!

I have a '99 Chevy Silverado. Trying to replace the seal on the front output shaft side of my transfer case, since it is leaking oil. Problem is that I can't get the seal retainer off! My favorite Haynes manual says I should use a slide hammer. Don't have one, but I made something similar myself. But the seal retainer just doesn't come off; The holes where you can put a hook in to pull it out keep getting bigger with every try, but no movement in the retainer itself.

Anyone has any tips here?

Thank you.

Reply to
Wouter

If you happen to have the front seal that is pressed onto the front output shaft (on the inner circumference of the seal) you need to remove that inner section first. Slide hammer will do. You also need a special installer if you have the seal that is pressed onto the output shaft. It is not possible to install this type of seal with just a hammer. You will be guaranteed to have a leak. Any attempt to install the seal by hitting the outside edge of it will just distort the seal inside. You have to have a tool that pushes the inner sleeve onto the front output shaft at the same time as the outer sleeve of the seal is being pressed into the bore.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai