Ruined engine after new intake manifold gasket

The Chevy dealer recently replaced the intake manifold gasket in my

1993 S-10, 4.3L V6, engine code Z (that is, not the high output version) because coolant was slowly disappearing (but there was never any water in the oil, nor on the ground).

The next morning after I brought it home, when I first started it up, it sounded as if I'd just changed the oil: it clattered for a second or two, then sounded normal.

Next morning, same thing. So, I changed the oil and filter, even though the dealer had done that as part of the intake manifold gasket job.

Next morning, same thing. And every morning thereafter.

A couple days later, the engine started making very bad sounds while driving at normal operating temperature. I took it back to the dealer (having driven it 300 miles since the gasket job), and they said it sounds as if I have a bearing in the bottom end going out. They offered to put a used engine in it and to split the cost with me. ("Without admitting any fault," they said.)

I think that they know they did something wrong. Does anyone have any ideas about what may have happened?

Thank you very much!

Reply to
Bigfoot16

sounds very much like they used a scotchbrite rolok pad to clean off the old gasket and didn't take care to keep the debris from going down in the engine. Once that's done, your engine will be lucky to last 1000 miles.

I think it's time to consider a lawyer. First, though-- get an oil analysis on the oil that's in it. You may have done them a favor by draining the crankcase, sad to say.

Reply to
burntkat

They need to pay for it all. Sounds like they did a bad job and coolant got in engine and might not have changed the oil like they said they did and by the next day or two, the damage had started. That is the only likely senerio here because I assume engine ran fine before? Was the dip stick ever over full? Antifreeze is a very bad thing to have in crankcase, far worse than just plain water as it actually act like a frictional agent when it mixs with oil under heat and pressure (kinda like a liquid sand paper) and wear parts extremely fast. Years ago my father inlaw blew a engine in his diesel tractor plowing because a seal failed on one of the wet cylinder sleeves on his JD tractor while working it and he checked his oil daily. When they tore it down at JD, the crank was so badly worn the rod journals on it were egg shaped. The crank and the rods had to be replaced too. Given that farm diesels are noisy anyway, when it finaily got loud enough to hear over normal operation noise, the engine was starting to loosing power too and was toast.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

This is a good tip to but it would have helped if he got the oil from first change after he got it back as oil check now ay not reveal scotchbrite but if they will not fix it for free a attorney is in order. I good compromise would be they give you a NEW crate motor, not a used one, and you pay labor to install it because a new motor is a lot more than you had to begin with.

Reply to
TheSnoMan