Rust Prevention

I'm baby sitting my Navy son's 95 Chevy Silverado 2500. He is stationed overseas and won't be rotating back to the States until mid

  1. I run it about twice a month the rest of the time it's parked in the driveway. I live in NW NJ. Hot humid summers,cold winters.

What kind of rust inhibitor spray can I use on the underbody that will stop the rusting process?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
Ed Miles

At 11 years old I wonder first what he may have used. If nothing as of yet then that galvanized steel is doing well. Up here in VT there are a few spots that will spray oil in the body panels. Much like the so called "rustproofing" from the 70's.

These guys swear by it and suggest it be done every year or so. On a vehicle not being driven it may work just fine.

Reply to
Kerry

First of all thank you, I have a lot of admiration and respect for anyone in the service, without these guys where would we be, please convey that to your son as well.

First of all, on the rust thing, if possible do not park on grass, the moisture that comes up from the ground is a big problem with these trucks, I had an 86 chevy that the previous owner kept parked on grass and you could see nothing but rust under it. I have an 89 now and I swear if you crawl under it and my dads 98 pickup the frames look about the same. It really depends on how crazy you want to go here. If you're looking for someone else to do it, you could have a body shop undercoat it, just make sure they get all the old rust off first and prep it right. If it was me, and I may try and do this to my truck this winter, I would get under the truck and clean it up real well, get all loose rust, grease, dirt off. Then with a chip brush coat the rusted parts with rustoleum rusty metal primer. Some will swear by por

15 and other products, but i've been using rustoleum for a while and it's never let me down. Then after that I would go over it with a rustoleum oil paint(i like gloss black for frames)

Just my .02 good luck

Kerry wrote:

Reply to
89GMC

I have been plowing snow for years and being out in the salt do this is hard on trucks. Every fall and spring a spray the frame down with used gear oil in a paint spray gun and it stops rust dead (gear oil has a anti rust additive) and it gets into the cracks that rust starts in too. I spray my plows to and they still look good after many years of service. Granted it stinks for a bit for a few days but it really works. Also you want to let your car set out in cold weather because when it is cold and covered with salt and you pull it into a garage it warms up and the cold metal sweats and gets the salt going. I had a 11 year old car that always sat out in winter and it had basically no rust on it except for a few small spots. My wifes 2000 Cherokee is currently rust free from top to bottom and it sits out too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan