S-10 Repair information

I had my 97 S-10 4wd, extended cab in for an inspection a few weeks ago (to a chevy dealer) and they told me that I would need the following: input shaft bearing replaced new clutch cooler oil leak (this apparently is common on the 4.3 litre V6 engines).

My question is this - is it worth getting this work done and how much do you think that this would all cost? I have considerd approaching Chevrolet and seeing if they would cover the oil leak since a few people at the dealer said it was design flaw that they've corrected in the newer version of that enginer..

Thanks!

Reply to
Cranberry Crazy

It's actually a pair of oil lines that leak. Dunno if GM will "goodwill" them on a 6 year old vehicle. As for the rest, it's very much worth it to get these items fixed, IMO. I just got home from a

600 mile round-trip trip, all driving, in my 94 Jimmy with the 4.3, auto tranny and 4x4. I got 22 MPG going down and 20 coming home, not bad for a truck showing 112,000 miles. I didn't burn a drop of oil, and I passed the 3,000 mile mark since my last oil change when I was only 1/3 of the way TO my destination, I actually haven't burned a drop since the last change, and usually don't. IMO, it's a good truck. I run Mobil-1 in my engine.
Reply to
Mike Levy

Mike,

Thanks! I do like the truck a lot and having it for almost 6 years now, am quite attached to it, but am not sure about putting the money into it and missing out on some sweet offers ($5k back)...

Reply to
Cranberry Crazy

Yeah, but how much do you have to spend to get that $5k rebate? It's a sad state of affairs when vehicles cost so much that they can afford to take that much off the price. Hell, since January, I've bought(or traded for)three vehicles...and I've only spent $5250 Fix the truck and go on a nice vacation with the money you save..

-- Old Crow '82 FLTC 92" Shovel 'Pearl' TOMKAT, SENS, BS#133, DOF#51, MAMBM ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 Chevy Certified Master Tech

Reply to
Old Crow

Personally I'd have it fixed, too bad you can't do this work yourself....you will be missing at least an arm, and maybe a leg too when paying the bill. Just did an engine transplant in the 91 S-10 4wd, already replaced the front end components, fixed all those "little" problems, and had a partial paint job done on it....at only 160K, I plan on having it for quite some time

The one and only problem left is a very slow drip on an inner front diff seal...K

Reply to
ken

that's the issue.. is the cost really worth it? I'd love to be able to fix it myself, but i know little to nothing about engine repair...

Reply to
Cranberry Crazy

FWIW, I had the oil lines replaced on my '99 Blazer last December. Including labor, it ran $336. This was about half parts and half labor according to the bill. Plus, it pretty much requires an oil change, so add that too.

Y'know... I could do that once a month and it'd still be cheaper than the "great deals" on buying a new vehicle. I must be getting old, but I gotta side with Ken. Vehicles are notoriously bad investments and keeping them in repair is a LOT cheaper than making payments. So, if cost is the issue, you're miles ahead by getting it fixed. Hell, I'm still ahead by not buying the extended warantee that would have covered this.

Of course if you want a new vehicle, I thank you for doing your part to help the economy!! :)

Reply to
Dakota