Ignition question

I've got a '97 K1500 and think the ignition cylinder is bad. Sometimes I loose tach, speedo, gear indicator light, and the check engine light comes on when I turn it over, but remote starter works all the time and CE light goes off. Had codes read and they indicated tranny probs (can't recall codes). Trusted mechanic buddy said sometimes ignition cylinder is the cause...I tend to agree since the problem is very intermittent and ONLY happens when I use the key to start. Also noticed I can take the key out after she starts. Any advise or info is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff & Missy

Exactly what happened to my 95 Z71. Turned out that a connector in the wire harness plug at the ignition switch had broken in half due to years of stress when the tilt wheel was used. Harness couldn't be purchased separately - sold only with the switch at the dealer.

Reply to
Stephen Young