2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 tire sizing

I currently have LT245-70-R-16 on the truck....I saw another truck the same model and year with LT285-75R-16..........will using a slightly larger tire mess up gearing or affect the transmission (automatic) or rear diff??

Thanks'

Charlie The OC

Reply to
cjc1200

9DodgeFan

Thanks for the input......I really don't care about the speedo.......I don't really drive all that fast anyway, but my main concern was that they don't affect anything important....and you're right, they will fill out the wheel wells a lot better than those little 245's.....one last question; I also have the stock rims, and I've heard that some tire stores will tell you that they won't put a larger tire on a stock rim....is there any precautions with that, or is it just a tire dealer preference?? Thanks for helping me out....

Charlie The OC

9DodgeFan wrote:
Reply to
cjc1200

I'd think the '01 was supposed to have 75 series tires not 70. Check you owners manual. If that is the case, your tires are actually smaller than OEM.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Yup, just found it. OEM is 245-75/16 with optional being 265-75/16 or 275-70/17. So 285-75/16 is closer to OEM diameter I do believe. Your speedo should read slightly higher than OEM and going to the right size will bring your RPMs down slightly for the same speed.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Ok....ran the numbers....the tires you are running are 3.3% smaller than what is OEM (not optional equipment). The tires the other truck were running are 7.8% larger. A lot bigger difference than I thought it would be.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I have also heard that because they don't want to deal with messing up people's vehicles and then something going wrong and then suing them. I think that is mostly larger nationwide chains that have policies like that. You will most likely have to check with smaller, privately owned tire shops for the best chance that they'll install whatever you want.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
9DodgeFan