To lockup or Not to lockup?

Several people I've talked to, say/suggest not to put the [stock] lockup back in... but to have it only in OD............ ('86 Silverado 305 2WD

700R)

Sounds good to me, but [auto] transmissions are something I've never took the time to learn much about............ anyone had any experiences with this set-up? Thanks for any help, and your time... GC

Reply to
GC

the 700r4 will only lock up in OD or 3 and only in the high gear of the range (i.e. lock up in 4th only in OD and 3rd only in 3). eliminating lockup will just make the trans run very very hot and eventually fail. so leave it stock.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks Bret... One person told me the 700R has some problem in which lockup can kick in

2nd gear as well... I've noticed mine doing this [or something similar], and pulling it down manually into second gear is the only way restore torque... this must just be a symptom of failed/worn parts, not a design weakness........ correct?
Reply to
GC