windshield wipers

Hi guys, this may sound pretty wierd but my wipers don't keep contact with the glass.

1990 k1500. Anything above 45 mph and the wipers actually rise off of the glass slightly. I installed new arms and blades with no luck. I don't know if the winter blades are the culprit. I remember seeing some type of fin that attached to the arm to keep it against the glass.

Anyone else have the issue or can suggest a way to remedy this.

thanks

Reply to
Chris

Have you tried bending the arms towards the glass?

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

Yeah, I've tried just about everything. I was just looking at some Bosch blades that are supposed to be more aerodynamic. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I've always used Anco.

Reply to
Chris

Did the problem just start? If so, have you done anything to change the aerodynamics to the front of the truck? New grille guard, bug deflector, different size wheels/tires. If it is a brand new problem and the aerodynamcis haven't changed, maybe you need new springs on the arms.

Reply to
chrisvillar

It's the winter blades. Because of the boots on them to keep ice out no air goes through so the lift at speed. The lift speed varies vehicle to vehicle due to the aero of that vehicle.

2 cars and 2 trucks in the household, all get winter blades in the snow season and they all have different "lift" speeds. The van, E250, has the lowest at about 55 mph.
Reply to
Repairman

Reply to
Chris

I got winter blades on both my vehicles ( 04 elantra and a 93 silverado ) The blades don't lift on the car but on the truck anything over 100 km/h and they only clear half the windshield.

Figured it might be the arms and the springs are tired. Phoned a local dealer here in Halifax and was quoted $45 for each arm but he was feeling good and would give them to me for $28 each. I figure on a warm dry day I'll head down to the local building centre, take the arm off and wark through the store to the hardware section and see if there are any springs that will fit to make it tight again.

Hoping this works and it can save me at least $50

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below

Michael McNeil