Can a 2000 MDX use E85?

I was curious, is a 2000 MDX considered a 'flexible fuel vehicle" that can use E85 (a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline)? I haven't seen any information to indicate that it is, but A lot of newer cars are able to and I just wondered if this model, or any Acuras for that matter, can use E85.

Reply to
Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge wrote in news:1120060546.abbc0bd202a7e4ec37646790fa361470@teranews:

Doesn't the drivers manual tell you?

RTFM.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I think the OP doesn't own an MDX, but may be researching a purchase. (The question about "any Acuras" makes me think that - I'm sure he doesn't have manuals for all Acuras.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Exactly. Geez, some people are just innately jerks I guess. It would suck to be his neighbour. I suspect that you don't know either,but thanks for the show of support, though :) Cheers, Big

Reply to
Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge wrote in news:1120140551.03da5f833cdc1b0dcc910fe5797856f3@teranews:

My apologies,most people tend to ask questions even though the info is right at hand.

I suspect any OBD-1 or -II EFI system would handle E85,as they measure the O2 content of the exhaust and correct for errors,and ethanol is not corrosive like methanol is,so it would not harm the vehicle's plumbing. MPG would drop due to the lower energy content of alcohol.

Maybe a visit to a dealer's showroom might turn up a manual in the glovebox.

Does Acura have online owner's manuals?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Why not call the service department at your local Acura dealership? They should know.

Reply to
Nick Cassimatis

"Nick Cassimatis" wrote in news:aPbxe.23496$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

I think he'd rather see something in print from Acura/Honda,as the knowledge at dealerships is variable.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9686666A7701jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.84:

From American Honda's OwnerLink page:

Under the category "Some gas stations in our area sell oxygenated fuels or fuels that contain other additives. What's Acura's position on these fuels?"

"Fuels that exceed the EPA's approved oxygenate percentages for conventional and reformulated gasolines must be clearly labeled on the pump. One example of such a fuel is "E85," which contains 85% ethanol. Do not use such fuels in your vehicle. These fuels will cause performance problems, and may damage your vehicle's engine, fuel system, and emission control system. This damage would not be covered under warranty."

So the answer is NO. E85 is NOT suitable for Hondas.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns96868E309AA0Ftegger@207.14.113.17:

I had thought E85 was 85% gasoline and 15% ethanol,but it IS exactly the opposite.

Thanks,Tegger.

Reply to
Jim Yanik