Engine Won't Start

I have a 1991 Acura Legend that periodically fails to start. The seems to have on humid weather days. I thought that maybe there is too much pressure in the fuel system, so I loosen the fuel tank cap and quite a bit of pressure escape, but the engine still failed to start.

When I allow the car sit until later in the day or into the evening it starts right away.

What's the possible problem?

Reply to
cea1

You need 3 things to make an engine run: Air, Fuel, Spark

Does the engine try to start then quit? Do you have spark? Do you have fuel pressure?

Reply to
I. Care

"cea1" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

main relay;it runs the fuel pump,gets cracked solder joints internally,hot temps cause it to not work.It's a common problem across many Honda/Acura products;the same relay is used in all of them,it seems. It's usually located up under the dash on the driver's side footwell.

see

Jim Yanik

I. Care,

No, the engine doesn't try to start, it just spends over-and-over. I'm not sure about spark, I'm away from home or wrenches at the moment. I'm not sure about fuel pressure. But. when I took the fuel cap off there was a lot of pressure in the tank, does that type of pressure mean anything in termof fuel system pressure?

Reply to
cea1

Jim,

I have the shop manual for the car, I'll take a look to see where the relay is located. Will there be any outward sign(s) of a problem with this relay? I'm asking about outward sign(s)because you're advising me that the relay gets cracked solder joints internally. Also, is there someway to troubleshoot this relay?

Reply to
cea1

"cea1" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

In case you never actually tried looking where Jim said, I'll give you a direct link:

Pay attention to the red text. Check out the behavior of the car relative to the description in red, then diagnose further.

Reply to
Tegger

(To the OP) One more thing - if you do check for a spark, be sure to read TeGGeR's instructions for that. Leaving the spark no place to go will likely destroy the coil.

But I agree: focus on the main relay at this point until diagnostics lead you away. It's so common it's the first thing we think of for symptoms like yours.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Tegger,

Thanks for the troubleshooting info. I'll give it a go and let you know how things turned out.

cea1

Reply to
cea1

"cea1" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

if you do take it out,you can take the outer cover off(it snaps off easily) and RESOLDER the PCB joints(if you know how to solder and have the tools),and it will work fine afterwards and not fail for many many years.It's very easy.

Then you don't have to pay $50 or more for a new relay that could(will) develop the same fault.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"cea1" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

SPINS,or...cranks,but no start/run.

No,that is just usual gas vapor pressure. The fuel injection runs at a much higher pressure than that.(if the fuel pump is getting turned on by the main relay.) If there's no or insufficient fuel pressure at the injector supply rail,the car may start and immediately die,then just crank without starting,until you give up or your battery runs out of juice.

Reply to
Jim Yanik