ODBC II engine codes

I have a 1997 Acura Integra 1.8 L (non VTEC) with a check engine light on. My code reader shows the following four codes.

P0302 = Cyl. 2 misfire P0304 = Cyl. 4 misfire P1300 = random misfire P1399 = Wait to start lamp circuit

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the last one really means?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark F.

------------------------------------

Is this a DIESEL engine, by chance ? ?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

"Mark F." wrote in news:4626dfc9$0$1348$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

According to my official Honda US-market OBD-II code list, P1399 is a non- existent code. Honda does not use this code for anything.

How did you obtain that particular code?

Reply to
Tegger

I got a "check engine" light yesterday afternoon. I downloaded those four codes from my ODBC II engine code reader. My book and software that came with the reader both state that the codes "P0" prefixes are generic and lists the descriptions. The last two are manufacturer specific. I searched around on the net and found a listing here.

P1399 is listed at the bottom of the page.

Mark

Reply to
Mark F.

Nope. Gasoline fueled.

Mark

Reply to
Mark F.

"Mark F." wrote in news:462756f0$0$19406$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Not "OBDC", just "OBD".

"OBD" stands for "On-Board Diagnostics". The version installed on your car is #2, hence the acronym "OBD-II".

An error code itself is known as a "DTC", for "Diagnostics Trouble Code".

Sort of. They are EPA-mandated, and are supposed to be the same between all manufacturers and models. In practice, only the ranges are identical (P03xx is always a misfire, P04xx is always exhaust-related, etc). But the specific codes may mean slightly different things from maker to maker.

P1xxx is a manufacturer-specific code. Honda does not use P1399, but some other manufacturers do. You are consulting a list of manufacturer- specific codes for some other manufacturer, not Honda.

If your reader is in fact reporting P1399 and no other untoward symptoms manifest, then you need to have the codes re-checked by somebody with a Honda-specific code reader, such as your dealer. Either you are receiving a false report from a non-compatible reader, or the ECM is defective. I lean towards the former.

Reply to
Tegger

You're right sorry for the slip. I added the "C" out of habit. I also write computer software ODBC is "Object DataBase Connectivity". Anyway I understand the diagnostics acronym but I am not any closer to understanding what the last code means.

I'll contact Acura.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark F.

motsco_ wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

My Haynes manual does not even have the P1399 code

who ever heard of any diesel Integra?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

-------------------------------

Dude ! I should have used some smiley's ! Like I think you have a DIESEL InTEGra :-)

Stay Safe. 'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

LOL. I'm thinking of dropping a Cummins in it so I can tow my boat!

Reply to
Mark F.

"Mark F." wrote in news:462771d3$0$8943$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

The last code DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING.

Honda DOES NOT USE code P1399.

You are reading a code that it is not possible for your ECM to store or report.

Take the car to somebody who has a code reader that explicitly recognizes HONDA/ACURA error codes. Honda and Acura dealers have such equipment, as do independent shops that specialize in Hondas.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9917970DB488tegger@207.14.116.130:

Actually, the dealer will likely charge you between $80 and $100 to do the code-read.

AutoZone, PartSource and other chains will read the code for you for free. Try that first and see what codes they come up with.

Reply to
Tegger