Starting Problem '92' Teg

When I turn my ignition key on to start my car I just get a 'click' sound with no starter. After several tries with the same reason, the starter finally kicks in to start the car. I've checker the battery and the alterator and both are fine. This is an intermittent problem that has come and gone for the last 2 months. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Is my starter going? It's the original one.

Rick Shaw

Reply to
Rick Shaw

It probably is the starter - that's a common failure mode. You could make sure that the fat wire to the starter is clean and making good contact by cleaning both sides (battery and starter). I am not sure on the 92 but you may want to check it a repair kit exists for your starter (often sold by the dealer) - you'll be able to repair your starter at a fraction of the cost of replacing it.

Remco

Reply to
remco

If you get a click but no cranking, it is an indication that the contacts in the starter solenoid are failing. This is a common way for starters to fail. The contacts can be replaced. I don't know if they are available from the factory, but you can get them from:

Replace the motor brushes while you are at it.

Reply to
Natman

Reply to
Rick Shaw