WHAT CAN BE INSPECTED WHEN REPLACING CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING?

2006 RSX-S, 20K miles

My car is going in soon for an already diagnosed replacement of the clutch-release bearing.

I would like to know what components are accessible or relatively easy to access while that procedure is being done so I can make a request to check things out while they're in there. (For example can the clutch be inspected? how about transmission/synchros?)

The only other issue I have is shifting is notchier and less agreeable than when the car was brand new and all upshifts/downshifts were teflon smooth.

Matt |mjs-at=ripco=dot-com|

Reply to
Matt

20K miles is *very* soon for a clutch release bearing to go south. I'm not saying you have bad driving habits but driving all the time with your foot on the clutch pedal *could* cause this - and could also cause clutch plate early wear problems. While they are replacing the release bearing, they will have done almost all of the labor that is needed to replace the clutch as well, if indeed it is excessively or a good part worn as well. They should certainly look at the clutch but I'm sure that Tegger will be along soon now, and I'll bow to his knowledge and suggestions on this.

For what it's worth...

Reply to
Dean Dark

Is this being done under warranty (I hope)? If so, it sounds like the bearing had a particular defect and all should be well when it is completed. If the shifting is still not as good as new, you can request a gear lube change. The dealer will use the Honda good stuff.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

When I change a throw out bearing, I do NOT pull the clutch plate as long as there is no evidence of shards of the clutch disc surface material anywhere. The edge of the clutch disc is visible, and, I look at the release fingers on the pressure plate, to make sure they are not damaged, and are all equal.

I inspect the throwout bearing shift shaft, for bent, worn, burned areas, where the bad bearing might have seized and spun, and I can check the rubber dust boot.

I also observe the clutch actuation system, for leaks on a hydralic system, or rusted worn cable (I work on many makes/models). I ensure the 'transmission' lubricant level is correct.

It is actually a transaxle, combining the differential and the transmission in one unit.

You mention synchros, and if you are hearing a bit of noise from them, it is a transaxle overhaul, a much greater and more involved procedure...

Reply to
Linuxiac

definitely clutch disk; if there are many miles on the clutch, might make sense to replace it now rather than run up another $500 in labor in a couple of years. Also, flywheel, after clutch is removed; "proper practice" is to always resurface flywheel when replacing clutch, but my expert mechanic just checks it over for flatness without removing it and so far, I've had no problems.