'00 S4 w/Pirelli PZero Nero M+S - Question

Hello all,

I just fitted my S4 with PZero Nero M+S tires last week. I researched the tires, and Tirerack.com suggested these as the best performing all weather tires. Based on reviews in all categories, theses tires SHOULD be better than OEMs for handling, dry traction, noise, tire wear, etc. - in ALL categories. I'm having some serious doubts....

I have about 600 miles on them, and I've found some interesting dynamics with them in hard turns. Basically, when I set up in a turn hard, or try to accelerate out, I am feeling some 'fighting' between the four corners of the car. I can't explain if it is the traction/anti skid control kicking in, or if the tires are flat out letting go. My question is this:

Are these tires truly performing better than the OEMs, and therefore I am going faster and hence the need for the dynamic controls to activate?

-or-

Are these performing poorly and the 'fighting' I feel is each tire letting go or the dynamic controls working to maintain traction?

It's not a confidence inspiring feeling, and I'm thinking of ditching these tires. The OEMs had a much better feel in hard turns, but they would totally lose control if there were 2 snowflakes on the road. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Carl

Reply to
Carl Howarth

"Carl Howarth" wrote

What were your OEM tires? If they were summer tires, then of course the all-season Neros will not be as good as your OEM tires when it comes to dry grip. On top of that, your OEM were probably worn out and hence offered quicker steering response and more grip since there was very little tread squirm.

Do you have ESP? Did you try switching it off to see if that's what's causing the strange behavior during hard cornering?

Well, Nero M&S isn't that great in the snow either. It's an all-season alright, but geared mostly towards summer performance and that is achieved at the expense of rather poor snow performance. Hopefully TR salesrep has made that clear.

For best of both worlds, you really need two dedicated sets of tires. Otherwise, you end up sacrificing performance, especially if you like to drive "on the edge".

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the response. The stocks were summer only Bridgestone Potenzas. However, the 'rating' system at TR showed that the Pirellis beat (quite handily) the Bridgestones in every category, including dry traction. That is why I'm confused.

I'll disable the advanced dynamic controls and give it a go tonite.

Thanks again! Carl

Reply to
Carl Howarth

"Carl Howarth" wrote

The rating system on TR website can be confusing in that way. They should clarify it somewhere if they haven't already.

You can only compare tires that are in the same CATEGORY, so let's say two "max perf. summer" tires, but not a winter tire and a summer tire. Otherwise you would come to a conclusion that many all season tires are better in the snow than many dedicated winter tires.

Good luck next time I guess. :)

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Where do you live? It's almost May and you put just so-so snow tires on a performance car? Huh? If you needed to re-tire, why go to a snow tire for summer use. Even an all season tire wouldn't be my choice with a hot car like you have in the S4. If you want a snow tire, go with Blizzacks or Nokias.

Thouoghts? Yeah, I think you screwed up. Solution: Buy four new wheels, not necessarily alloys, and put the snows on them. Use the factory wheels for a good set of *summer* tires. You're trying to use insulated galoshes on your feet in the summer time, when you should be wearing a good pair of sneaks. Think about it.

Dave (whose RS6 has winter AND summer shoes)

Reply to
Dave LaCourse