1993 Audi 80 front wing removal

I'm considering replacing the r/h front wing on my 80. It's the only part with rust breaking through and also has a nasty dent that stops me refitting the indicator moulding..

Could anyone point me to information about removing/refitting a wing panel please?

Reply to
Grooove

TonyJ

Quarter-panel, perhaps?

Reply to
Bart Oleksy

Let me guess.. rust .. old car ... wing .. Where does rust mainly occur on old cars? Wheel..No. Hood..No Another clue was the dent. Where do these mostly occurs? Indicators.. check your dad's car. Front - the part in driving direction. R/h - Indicates which side of car. Opposite of l/h. To many clues and you was not able to do a clever guess? English is not my native language either, but I have basic knowledge about old cars, dents and rust. Wing panel seems to be a good description of the actual part. Hang on and you will learn a lot here.

/Alf

Reply to
Alf.F

Alf ... Really. You haven't read your clues or history very well before responding. I have been posting on here for about five years. I am 61 years old and my dad doesn't drive anymore at 91 years old.

I have owned six Audis since 1986 and worked on them all. I also help a number of friends on their Audis in addition to offering advice here and on AudiWorld forums. I have replaced several front fenders on them. I have the information to help the OP but wanted to be clear on what part was been referred to.

At this point I will let you handle the reply. Hope you have the correct experience for the reply.

You missed on your poorly thought out reply!

Reply to
TonyJ

After a very brief search on google.com............... The front wing is sometimes called the front fender. I learn something new everyday!

I think my '83 Audi 4000S could stand new R/H and L/H front wings too! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I wrote them.

I did belive you was joking. My english is poor but I had no problem to understand very clear.

No experience at all but basic knowledge. Do not understand why you hope that I should have experince. I sold my garage 1980 due to allergy. Not against cars but most kinds of soap and some kinds of oil. Dirty cars and no soap is not any good combination. Have since not even repaired a bicycle.

My first reaction to the original posting was that if help was needed for that simple thing, does he have any tools, knows anything about needed rust coating, what type of gaskets to use, what to do with bolts that gets broken and so on. It is a simple job but for a good job is some experience and good tools needed.

A quick instruction how to replace front fender: It is very simple, remove front wheel, direction indicator, inner fender and bumber in that order. It is possible to do the job without removing bumber but it is a lot more complicated. After that remove the fender. Just common tools needed, a metric wrench set or a socket set (most bolts in the fender have 10 mm head, if I remember right) and a big screwdriver. No hidden bolts but there are some bolt behind the door that is a bit tricky to reach. Hardest bit can be to make the new fender to fit nice. I prefer to paint the fender before mounting but any mistakes during mounting can be very visible.

Agree.

/Alf

Reply to
Alf.F

Alf.F wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wow, quite a discussion I sparked off there. Didn't expect that at all..

I guess the problems arise because of the different terminology in different countries. The 'boot' in the UK is the 'trunk' in the USA.. etc etc.

Thanks for the quick guide. I'm no auto engineer (actually I'm a plumber who also builds computer systems) so I'm trying to find out if the job is manageable by someone with reasonable technical skills.

Thanks for the info so far. Much appreciated.

Reply to
Grooove

Grooove wrote in news:Xns99175E4599189d4v1d@216.196.109.144:

Oh yes, just to be absolutely clear. What we call the front wing in the UK is the side panel over the front wheel.

:)

Reply to
Grooove

Then you probably already have needed tools. The replacement is done in less then an hour.

/Alf

Reply to
Alf.F

AKA >> fender.

I have changed several on T44 series and like mentioned before it is really quite easy. The other post said that you do not need to remove the front bumper but on the T44 series it need to be removed and I would think on your 80 as well. Removing the bumpers is quite easy with two Allen bolts up from the bottom of the bumper (again if the 80 is like the T44s and B5/B6 A4s). After these are out disconnect turn signals and any plastic ducting and slide forward. Having a friend help to hold it make it easier.

You might find one brazed connection in the front door hinge area that you will need to cut with a chisel or dremel. this is not important to fasten on the new one as it is probably used to improve the electrical ground to reduce corrosion.

Lining up the new fender is likely to be quite easy because Audi parts seem to hold close tolerances.

Not counting any painting is necessary I would guess the job to take two hours.

Reply to
TonyJ