IIa Front wing removal

Can someone give me a brief description on how to remove the front wings from a IIa. I have the Haynes manual which gives details but doesn't really give a clear picture of where the bolts are that need to be undone.

My sketchy understanding is (after removing bonnet):

1) Disconnect the headlight wiring (headlights in wing IIa) 2) undo the bolts that hold the mud shield in (not present!) 3) undo the bolts that hold it to the bulkhead (2 bolts on the front of the bulkhead edge, top and bottom?) 4) undo the bolt(s) (how many?) that hold it to the rad panel (inside the wing?) 5) undo the bolts that hold the middle/rear inside of the wing to the chassis bracket.

Does it just lift off or do you have to lift off in a particular way?

Is it easy to get them back on?

Is that it or is there more to it?

Any likely problems or useful tips?

Since I'm struggling to get the floor up, looks like a long job!

Reply to
John Halliwell

And sidelights & blinkers of course!

??

There should be four of these. To reach the two middle ones you will need a socket with an extension. These two middle bolts do not need removing, but only loosening, as they are in diagonal slots - lift the guard up and out to remove.

Should be five, and the left side should have the bolts welded to a strip of steel so you don't have to hold the heads.

Remember there may be more than you think - you will have to remove the box round the steering box, if its there.

See above - if you have the two middle bolts on the back edge just loose, you will have to lift up and out at about 45 degrees.

Yes, except for getting the strips with bolts in place on the radiator support. Helps to have someone hold them while you get the nuts started.

Soak the bolts with diesel for a week before starting, be prepared to replace them all, and assemble with anti-sieze compound on all threads to avoid problems next time.

Went through all this last November when I repainted mine! JD

Reply to
JD

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:33:40 +0100, John Halliwell made me spill my meths by writing:

My equally sketchy recollections are more or less the same.

I don't think you need to remove the bulkhead bolts completely, those particular holes in the rear folded edge of the wing are slotted in such a way that the wing can lift up and away. If you can get away with undoing the bulkhead bolts then try to leave them in, it's easier for the "reassembly is reversal of disassembly" mode.

The rad panel had captive bolts on mine. they didn't like being removed and were replaced with individual nut and bolts.

Mark up and label the wiring well for the lights and indicators etc.

Grind them off and get some new nuts and bolts. Not at all expensive for a bagful from a local hardware shop. I couldn't get the pan head ones locally but easily got some hex head screw thread with the clips that let you screw into the floor panels. Feet don't catch on the heads at all while sat in the vehicle and they are zinc plated. Makes it easier to remove with a ratchet rather than slipping with the large flat blade paint pot opener.

It wasn't at all a bad job, the trouble really happens when something else comes along and you get distracted before you manage to fini...

..Ooh, Simpsons is on....

Reply to
Wayne Davies