2000 Audi A6 Avant Quattro - blower motor

The other day by blower quit working on my Audi, A/C was on nothing coming out the vents. A/C is on and hear the compressor turn on so I think the blower motor is bad. Do these things have a fuse or does the whole motor need replacing? If replacing how big a job is it to replace?

Thanks, batman

Reply to
batman

There's definitely going to be a fuse or breaker somewhere in the line to the blower motor, that puppy draws some serious power. Do you have the users guide for the car? There ought to be at least a diagram of the fuse box therein...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

I do have the guide and will check that tonight after work. l will let you know what I find. Thanks!

Reply to
batman

Blower motors on Audi's are very poor, I replaced mine last week and they cost alot of money, they are made by veleo, the fuse on the A4 is a 30 amp one, I don't know about the A6.

It's very easy to replace on the A4, so I imagine it is on the A6, the glovebox comes out with 5 x 6mm hex screws, behind the glovebox is the blower motor unit, its fixed to the housing by 3 small gold hex head screws, there is also a relay that can go, but I doubt it has, take the blower motor out and remove the wiring, use a mutlimeter on the 6 pin plug and check you have voltage, there are 3 12v supplys when the fans should be on, and 1 variable supply that ranges from 1v -6v this is the fan speed feed.

The reason the blower motors go so often is the climate on Audi's is on all the time, this usually burns out the blower motor after 4 years.

It takes 5 mins to remove the glovebox, and 10 mins to remove the blower motor, so give it a try, you can't do no harm.

going back to the fuse, if it's like the A4 it is located in the fusebox which is accessed via the drivers side panel between the door and console, just pop the panel off and look at the diagram on the back of the panel you removed, the fuse is a 30 amp green, but I doubt very much it has gone, a little test is, remove the fuse then plug it back in and see if the blowers work again for a short while, mine did.

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

Reply to
batman

******* Just got back from vacation. I have checked and yes they are expensive. Ronny, thanks for the replacement tips, it will be much easier to replace it myself then paying someone $85-$100 an hour to do it. It sound easy enough.

Brian

Reply to
batman

Finally was able to tear into this and yes it is very easy to get at (4 screws to remove the glove box). When checking the motor I noticed some bare wires to the left of the motor on the thermostat control unit? Remove harness and it was shorted out. Fan does work. Now in the process of finding a control unit or resistor what ever it is listed as and finding a 3 wire harness.

Brian

Reply to
batman

Is the blower motor on the A6, compatible with any of the Jettas or other VW cars?

Reply to
magic