Wheel Bearing Noise ? Audi 100

I have a '91 Audi 100 non-Q 4 spd automatic

Over the last 3 - 4 months I've noticed a sound as though I'm driving with snow tires on (which I am not). The car has around 145,00 miles on it. The sound seems to be related to wheel speed and it's not really loud like I've read others describe a bearing to be like. I do have a torn outer CV joint boot and I'm waiting for it to fail to change it. I can't really feel any slop in the bearing when I jack it up and pull on the wheel. Anyone have any ideas if this sounds like either a CV joint or wheel bearing? Any other ideas?

THANKS! Steve

Reply to
~ Elektraman ~

The message from "~ Elektraman ~" contains these words:

Bearings often start quiet.

As for the CV jont - why wait for an expensive part to fail just 'cos you CBA to replace the boot for a few quid.

Reply to
Guy King

Steve, The noise (generally a "low growling") indeed sounds like a bearing - failing CV's are more aptly described as "clicking". You want to go to an empty road or parking lot, drive at a maneuvering speed, and then crank the wheel - the bearing will be noisiest when more heavily loaded on the outside of a turn. If you find a torn boot, take it to a shop and have them really wash the heck out of the CV, then relube and put on a new boot. Chances are it will fail when you least need/afford it to. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - put off changing the clutch master cylinder for a year.....it totally failed this morning as I left for work 1980 Audi 5k - put off brake service and blew a line on the way to a local Audi meeting
Reply to
Steve Sears

Steve, Thanks for you help. I have a rebuilt half shaft and planned on switching it out soon. With the noise I was hearing from the wheel I thought I would do both jobs at the same time. I needed to confirm my suspicion before ordering the wheel bearings. No ticking sound from the CV joint yet but I 'll have the new one in before that happens.

THANKS!

Steve

Reply to
~ Elektraman ~

Hi Steve,

I had a strange noise like this and no one was able to tell me what it was. Someone actually suggested to change everything (bearing and cv joint). In the end, I found out that the big nut in the middle of the wheel was not tight. Have someone check that first before you spent money on anything. I had no more problems after that was fixed.

Christ> Steve, Thanks for you help. I have a rebuilt half shaft and planned on

Reply to
Christoph Bollig