Audi 80 1.9TDI flat spot help required

Hello

Got a problem with a 1.9TDI car. It goes great until the revs get up to about 3000 rpm. Then the power just falls away and the pickup is really flat. This is a pain when towing. The point at which this happens is a little variable, but 3000 rpm or thereabouts sees the onset of this problem.

Anyone any pointers on what this could be. Its getting worse!.

Cheers... Rob.

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Probably the MAF (Mass air flow meter). Expensive to replace but a common problem.

Reply to
Ernest

Ack.

NACK. I don't think it's _that_ expensive and there's surely almost no labour involved.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Update

A friend who owns an alternative VW/Audi repair business tested the MAF, but initially found nothing wrong. He re-set the ECU memory and told me to use the car and bring it back next day/if the fault exhibitted itself. Gotta say the car was much improved after this, but after a while, the fault came back. This was logged in the ECU as the MAF. Its gonna cost £125 (plus 17.5% tax) to replace, and the guy will fit it free.

Thanks again for the help with this.

Cheers... Rob.

"Ernest" wrote:

Reply to
Rob. Smith

I had a similar problem with my A-6 4.2. At almost the same rpm and under load it would hesitate (start missing) until I got the rpm's up. It took seven times to the dealership for them to finally identify the mass air flow sensor. It has been replaced and seems much metter.

Regards

Felix

Reply to
Felix