Audi 80 CV joint UK

Guys, Roughly how much to have a cv joint replaced on a 1991 Audi 80 non quattro

Thanks

Reply to
Oliver Gunnell

Parts from £30 to £45, labour from £25 to £70, some garages charge 1 hours, others charges 2.

Now pick your mix.

~ Chris

Reply to
Chris

Its a very easy job to replace them, think the last one I got was about £45 in a kit with grease, gaiter, circlips etc, you will need too replace the bolt through the wheel bearing too, this should come in the kit, they are stretch bolts & can only be used once, think they need torquing to 160 lbs or there abouts,

Steve,

Reply to
Steve68s

Hi Steve,

What are "stretch bolts"?

I've had a few cv-joints done (Audi100 88 and 89) and I don't think anyone ever worried about the bolts.

Christoph

Reply to
Christoph Bollig

"Christoph Bollig" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I guess he means those self locking nuts which are a tiny bit oval. Is is better to replace those (normally it comes with a kit) because you don't want that such gets loose :). If not tight enough or loose the wheelbearing can damage.

Al

Reply to
The Al Bundy

Well the guy who sold me the kit said the bolts can only be used once, if you buy OEM gaiter kits for the Audi 80 they come with the big bolts too included, think they must be like the bolts used on some cylinder heads, tip, to save bashing the cv joint with a hammer to get it off, after withdrawing the cv joint from the hub put the bolt back into the joint & tighten it up gently with a spanner or big Allen socket depending on type of bolt, as its not in the hub now the bolt will go in further & as its tightened up the cv joint will come off the shaft, on reassembly renew the circlip,

Steve

Reply to
Steve68s

It all depends on which model, I asked the guy down GSF.

Bolt must be the one you can see from the whell hub, some types have not got this bolt.

Reply to
Chris