Audi A4 gear box oil?

Hello.

I have an Audi A4 1995. It has an 1,6 L engine.

I have a strange sound coming from the engine. (It sounds like a wining sound or better described: it sounds like the sound that winter tires makes on asphalt..)

I want to check the gear box if it enough with oil in it. (In case that has something to do with the noice..)

I am trying to find out where i can refill the gear box oil. Can any one pleace advice me where?

Thank you for listening.

Br, Christian O.

Reply to
Chotie

It's not meant to be refilled; it lasts a lifetime. It has a filling cap however but chances are low that the level is the culprit. When do you hear the sound?

Ronald

Reply to
reply

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. That's funny. When the lubricant finally breaks down or loads up with wear metals and the tranny dies, that's the end of its lifetime. Bingo - "lifetime fluid."

They're talking about the tranny's lifetime, not your's.

Anyone who wishes to extend the "lifetime" would be well advised to change the transmission fluid at no more than 100K mile intervals.

Reply to
Mark Allread

I hear it when i am accelerating a little. When i am releasing the clutch the sound disapeares...

Christian

Reply to
Chotie

So where on the engine can i find the tap where i can fill oil for the gear box? Is it at the front part of the engine?

Reply to
Chotie

I wasn't clear enough. Manual gearboxes oils -I'm European- aren't meant to be refilled nor changed.

Funny huh?

Ronald

Reply to
reply

Sounds like a bad release bearing.

Reply to
JimV

The release bearing would making a clattering when the clutch is released, sounds like your problem is not the Release bearing.

Reply to
Ron

It will be to me when your tranny meets it's "lifetime" due to lack of proper fluid changes.

Reply to
Mark Allread

I normally have the oil changed every 2 years.

-- Doug Ramage

Reply to
Doug Ramage

| > Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. That's funny. When the lubricant finally | > breaks down or loads up with wear metals and the tranny dies, | > that's the end of its lifetime. Bingo - "lifetime fluid." | >

| > They're talking about the tranny's lifetime, not your's. | >

| > Anyone who wishes to extend the "lifetime" would be well advised to | > change the transmission fluid at no more than 100K mile intervals. | >

| > -- | | I wasn't clear enough. Manual gearboxes oils -I'm European- aren't meant to | be refilled nor changed. | | Funny huh? | | Ronald | | Very funny. You must be a clown. That is certainly clear enough. Just because you can't figure out where and how, to drain and refill, you assume it shouldn't be done. Now, read no further, and do go away. Circus is that way----------------------------->>

As to the question, Redline MTL-90 is the same viscosity as factory fill, but some have reported better shifting using a blend of MTL and MTL-90. Takes about 2.3 - 2.5 litres. I would tend to agree, as my box was a little more reluctant, when cold, with MTL-90.

Drain is a triple-square with security notch on some, others are 17mm internal hex, fill is 17mm internal hex.

--

2.8 12V NQ --
Reply to

I've just had my manual tranny valvoline replaced in the hope changes would be smoothed. I did not notice any difference whatsoever. My advice, save your bucks for something else.

JP Roberts

"Mark Allread" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@35.alientech.net...

Reply to
JP Roberts