Gear / Transfer box oil

where on a 1987 RR do i get to the fill up hole for the gear and transfer box??

Do i have to remove the centre console or can i get to it from underneath,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Filler plug is on the side of the gear box and the transfer box, both are accable from under the vehicle ISTR they are 1/2 inch square socket plug, but they could be a 6 spline socket plug.

Pete S

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Ive just changed the oil in my 90 gearbox & transfer case. getting the stud out from underneath is the "easy" part - filling is another thing!!

If the RR is anything like the 90, remove the centre tunnel - makes life MUCH easier when it comes to filling her up again.

Also, before draining make sure you can get the filler plug out - they have been know to seize in place.

Reply to
Jon Kelly

Yeah, I resorted to a mate , and a long flexible tube from a funnel at bonnet height, all the way down under the floor, and up into the hole, worked ok as well, although I did spill a tiny bit once it was full :0)

`Agrippa

Reply to
Agrippa

Not sure about 90s or Classics, but on the Disco I found an oil syringe was indispensible, only a few quid from the motor factors.

The emergency backup is an old washing up bottle. Takes a bit longer but better than nowt.

David

Reply to
David French

"David French" wrote in news:bou98v$1j56ed$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-160280.news.uni-berlin.de:

I use a large 60mm hypodermic syringe from the vet (£2?). Get one with the large nozzle and then a length of plastic tube to slip over the end. Works a treat -- except for the inevitable dribble that runs down your sleeve!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I used a garden killer spray with the nozzel removed, pump it up to full pressure and use the valve to control the flow.

Peter S

Reply to
Peter Seddon