Oil leak...

I've got a 1997 Pug 306 1.4 Style and have noticed a small amount of Oil appearing on the underside of the engine.

It can't be leaking a lot as it doesn't appear to be affecting the engines oil level, when checking by dipstick. It's just passed the

57'000 mile mark.

I wondered from anyones experience what this is likely to be? Gaskets, oil seals...?

Cheers.

Reply to
Strutter

Gaskets,

If the oil is only on the sump area (not running down from the sides of the engine) it's most likely leaking from the sump drain plug, which can be fixed by fitting a new washer.

Else, clean the engine up and see if you can trace the leak by running the engine until you see the oil dripping again, and follow the oil back up.

- Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

Thanks for the advice.

I gunked and rinsed the engine and have been running for a few days.

The sump drain plug doesn't appear to be suspect, there is a small amount of oil that has collected on the bottom front left of the engine - To the left and down from the front exhaust pipe.

Can't seem to trace the oil's route though! Could this be the head gasket? If it is The car is to go, it'd cost half it's value to have it done. I DAREN'T do it myself because of all the electronics and plastic bits the engine is infected with - asking for further expense!

Cheers.

Reply to
Kontaminator