European purchase

I have been told that Audi does not offer a european purchase plan like BMW and Mercedes. Does anyone know or have experience with a factory purchase in Europe and then Audi sshipping it to the states? thanks rick

Reply to
doc

"doc" wrote

This wouldn't make any sense in case of Audi. Since they don't offer the Euro-delivery, you'd end up buying a regular euro-spec car in Germany, which would be quite costly to convert to US-spec before you could legally register it in the US (different instrument cluster, lights, bumpers, emission levels, etc.).

The only way it works for BMW is because they have an agreement to sell you a car in Germany that is already US-spec'd. You are allowed to drive it in Germany for a few days because you're not registering the car there - you're basically transporting it to the shipping port. Audi will not sell you a US-spec car in Germany, AFAIK.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I wouldn't be quite so certain. It is certainly not unknown for Brits to purchase a RHD car from Audi dealers in mainland Europe - essentially, a UK-spec car.

Reply to
Peter Bell

"Peter Bell" wrote

Assuming you can get past the red tape (will the dealer have pricing for such a car? will he not be held liable for selling a car that technically doesn't meet some local road requirements such as symmetric headlights, red turn signals, etc.), what about warranty? Will AoA honor the warranty on a car that you imported on your own from Germany? Those are all issues that are taken care of in a typical euro delivery program. Without it, I'm afraid he'll face a lot of hassles.

Within Europe it's a little easier - same warranty covers all EU, technical reqs. are similar (apart from the obvious RHD/LHD thing that you mentioned).

Pete

Reply to
Pete

"doc" wrote

It looks like they do now:

I haven't read the fine print (benefits), so I don't know if it makes sense from a financial standpoint.

Pete

Reply to
Pete