TT roadster design flaw

Hate it that you can't have the window open when raining without water dripping into the car. The water accumulating on the ragtop rolls off and if this occurs near an open window, the water drips into the car instead of out and down the side of the car. Bad design flaw for an otherwise phenominal car

Reply to
b22r

You'll find that this is the same for *all* cars that lack a rain gutter - in other words, pretty much anything designed in the last two decades.

A bummer for smokers..

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

That's not a design flaw. It's a *perception* flaw - yours. Deal with it, whiner.

-- C.R. Krieger (Surprisingly unsympathetic for early Monday morning)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Ouch.

I like it - abuse 'em some more.

;)

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Yea, figures that some dufus would say to just keep the window shut. Methinks you misunderstand....yes, drops can come in from the rain. I am talking about water that accumulates on the ragtop and then drops down into the cabin. Sorry, but I do occasionally like to have the window open in light rain. No, I do not smoke. I've had numerous cars.....usually keep a car for 2 years and then get another one...something I've been doing for the past 30 years. My A4 does not have this problem. None of my other cars had this problem (though I note it is my first ragtop). Overall an amazing car though a little underpowered. Am thinking of going the route of an SLK320 or

350Z/ragtop next....zoom zoom zoom.

Toodles......

Reply to
b22r

Ah! Now I see the /real/ question..

No, it's not so much that the water runs from the roof while moving in a straight line, it's that the windows are rather heavily curved to the centre of the car.

Like any other car I've driven - including those with rain gutters - manouvre the car hard enough and you'll get a pint of water down the inside of the door.

Most family saloons don't do that (vertical windows mean that then can claim another couple of CC more interior space over their rivals); you still get water in the car (my last-model BMW 3-series was a bugger for that), but not usually to the same extent.

With the roof down, stand at the rear of the car and note just how far the top of the window is inclined - you'll see what I mean.

If you fiddle with the windows and get a gap of about an inch, even very heavy rain has little effect (assuming that it's not beating right against that particular window!)

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Thanks for the suggestion H1K. Yes, a minor issue to be sure but it's nice to get some fresh air in via the windows when raining....without getting a puddle accumulate inside (and on to my baseball optic interior). If I did not have a ragtop I'd never own a TT....the perfect 9and painful) definition of a COUPE with them tiny windows (and no sunroof). Oooops....methinks I have flamed the hardtoppers.....LOL.

Cheers,

Geekapoo

Reply to
b22r

Yes, about as phenomenal as your spelling. The TT is a piece of overpriced overstyled excuse for a cut down Golf. Audis worst car of recent times. Should have been shot at the drawing board, with the designer.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I'm not sure where it was made, but was it designed in a hair salon? :)

Reply to
Dan405

Yes. The one next-door to the wine bar.

Reply to
Jamesy

Oh dear. For a TT to be quick it needs mods. For a TT to not kill people it needs recalls, ESP, spoilers.

The TT was a poorly engineered car from the outset, not worthy of the Audi badge, should have been sold as a seat product. In fact the Leon is the best small car in the VAG. How they screwed up when the rest of the audi range is actually not bad I don't know.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Is that going to be standard, or is the V6 TT going to come from the factory normally aspirated?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The V6 comes normally aspirated, and with not much of a hike in power or torque.

OTOH, you lose the lag as well.. I'm sticking with the chipped turbo for the moment ;o)

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

For a TT to be quick enough to justice to the chassis, yeah. Doesn't need them, in the same way that you might prefer an unmodded 850 Mini over an Ultima.. As goes the "safety" mods..

If you head back through the TT Forum archives, you'll see there was a roaring trade in the older suspension - the feel is much, much better, and there's less understeer.

Personally, I leave the ESP turned off at all times - I had a bad experience on a wet roundabout, where the box of tricks decided that I actually wanted to go forwards. Hence that's the first button I push after starting the engine (I ordered a Mk.I, but only the Mk.II was available on delivery)

No idea what the spoiler does - I haven't seen wind tunnel results - be the car is perftectly stable up to an indicated 155mph (147mph true, according to my GPS). That's significantly better than my last-model BMW, which used to get /very/ floatly between 120-130mph indicated (and probably a fair bit lower in real life - 145 indicated was "about" 131mph true)

Naturally, the spolier doesn't even come into play on UK roads..

On what grounds? That you can't turn hard right in fog, on a wet Autobahn at

100mph+?

You can't do that in a Pug 205, either (I would give a better example, but I'm not too familiar with well-handling hot hatches out there these days - which of 'em give you lift-off oversteer on demand? Any of 'em?)

The only real flaws that I've found in three years are the electrical gremlins apparently common to all cars in the VAG stable. Oh, and the OEM ContiSport tyres - utter crap.

Very chuckable, and rarely embarrassed by my friend's 'Blade (well, when he has a pillion and is not on a dead straight road ;o) Leaves him for dead at the bends near Overton, Hamps (not sure where you are in the country)

Can you say the same for your Vauxhall Zafira? ;o)

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

And the average hairdresser that bought them couldn't cope. Like the current MR2, at first release they all left the road backwards. And the S2000. Note how the MGF has been set up to understeer. Understeer is what people understand.

eh??? But the point of ESP is to ensure you are stable. If driving like a nut and you know what you're doing it needs to be off or you cannot control the car how you want to. Mr average hairdresser needs to have the button removed...

My current Volvo is dead stable at an indicated 150 (not had enough road to take it further yet), about 135-140 true. No-one would consider that a performance car and yet they make TTs with less power. Most comfort oriented cars get floaty at high speed. The Mk1 TT appears to have suffered somewhat from the body being shaped like an aerofoil.

of course...

The TT just feels crap to drive at speed. It's cramped, uncomfortable, noisy. All things you expect of a sports car, not a car that drives like a warm hatch.

Since when has lift-off oversteer been a desirable thing?? The 205 was as bad a design as the TT and probably killed more people. Currently most hot hatches just tuck back in when you lift mid bend, which is what the TT does (now) so that's why I say why bother! You can provoke (trail brake) the Leon to go sideways.

Continental Sport Contact II are great though.

Wouldn't try and take on a TT in the Zaf. Although I reckon the Zaf Turbo is as quick as a 150 or a 180 TT point to point on average roads. My Volvo will stick with a TT180 through most roads on a dry day. 225 out drags me, but then mines only 180bhp. Raced a T5 auto against a 225 manual and blew him away, as I did in an MGF Trophy. I just do not see why anyone wants a pseudo-sportscar design accident that drives as crap as it looks.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Oh no, dont mention a French car to Mr Kemp. He's of the utterly ridcuolous opinion that 205s do not handle very well. He has forgotten what real cars are liked because he's been cocooned away in his safe 'family cars' for too long ;)

ah a local boy. i'm from Totton, but occasionaly do road ralies up round there!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Do. Have. Have na na na na naaaaaaaaaa na :P

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

don't, haven't, have not.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

regardless what some of you may think about TT's, I've had my 225 Quatro coupe for 2 years & I love it. Granted, there are faster cars out there, but no matter what you drive, there's always something faster.I've owned many 2 seaters ( & yes i'm aware the coupe isn't a 2 seater so save your wise remarks). not all cars need to be fast to be enjoyable & i enjoy mine.

Reply to
T T