Leaking Mondeo

It has hardly rained here for over three months, and now it has started raining again my 'N' reg Mondeo has sprung a leak...

It's dripping in from somewhere behind the dash on the passenger side. Pouring a bucket of water down the windscreen will produce a good few drips.

At first I thought it might be associated with the pollen filter housing, but I took it out, and there was no obvious problem. I guess it could have been leaking into the housing past the seal between the housing and the car body - the seal was a bit manky. Now I've disturbed it and put it back, I don't seem to get any more drips.

Before I start trying to get a new seal, are there any other known Mondeo leak places that will produce a drip onto the passenger's feet?

Reply to
Roger

The message from Roger contains these words:

I understand it's commonly the drain in the pollen filter box.

Reply to
Guy King

Can be the screen sealing.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I've got exactly the same problem. The pollen filter box looked fine. It drips in on the right hand side of the passenger footwell. Jon

Reply to
Jon

Have you had a replacement w/screen ?

Reply to
sro

In article , sro writes

Yes, a few years ago. Half the heating elements in it now don't work, so if it's the screen that's leaking, I think I need to meet a stone coming the other way...

Reply to
Roger

Almost certainly you have a leaking pollen filter housing to bulkhead gasket. This is one of a myriad of 'known Moandeo problems' and both of my Moandeos have suffered from it.

I cured my leaks by removing the pollen filter housing and thoroughly cleaning all the crud off the bulkhead surface and the gasket face. I didn't disturb the gasket on the pollen filter housing.

I then used some mastic sealant tape - this is a strip of pliable mastic measuring about 1/2" wide x 1/8" thick that comes on a roll attached to an easy-release backing paper (Sellotape make it). I stuck a continuous strip of mastic tape onto the sealing face of the old gasket (arrange for the mastic tape joint to be along the bottom edge of the pollen filter). I then replaced the pollen filter housing.

AFAIK, my local Ford garage carries out a similar repair that reuses the old gasket. They extrude a continuous bead of mastic sealant from a sealant gun onto the face of the old gasket and then refit the pollen filter.

Reply to
mlv

has started

passenger side.

good few

filter

problem. I guess it

between the

I've disturbed

known

passenger's feet?

work, so

stone coming

Someone gave some excellent advice on here a few years ago stating that you should use the heated screen at least once a day even through summer as the (I believe they said) the ends of the elements get damp and corrode. Don't know if this is true but I've done it with my Sierra's new screen over 2 years ago and every element is still working fine. BTW if its just one side of the screen that's not heating you could look at the wiring as each side is supplied separately. HTH, Steve

Reply to
SandS