UK parts supplier? Aircon control unit dead.

Hi Folks,

I've got a late '95 A4 1.9TDi. The climate control unit (Audi part

8d0820043h) in the dashboard has died. I took it to a local Audi dealer and they quoted £608 for a new unit and £316 for a "temp flap motor" (Audi part 8d2820511a) whatever that is.

I remember reading here that someone imports parts cheaply into the UK

- can anyone point me in the right direction?

Failing that, can anyone recommend a friendly breakers/salvage business.

For some reason, shelling out the best part of a grand to get the aircon working is not appealing!

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Ebay.co.uk they always have them on there, I have seen tons, although there isnt any at the moment, they normally go for around 30-50 quid, or try a scrap yard.

If you need one badly try ebay.com or ebay.de they have some but you may have to pay import tax on the .com one, only if its over 50 quid.

hth

Ronny

Reply to
Ron

Where do you get 50quid from? You get up to 36quid for import of non-commercial items (ie gifts) and 18quid for "items of mechandise".

You have to pay import tax+VAT+Royal Mail handling charge (usually about

4-6quid).
Reply to
Graham

Well I normally get away with under 50 quid, 36 quid is the "official amount though like you said

Reply to
Ron

[Snippo]

Thanks Ron. I've contacted, via the web, a number of breakers so hopefully one of them will come up trumps - I'll also give ebay a go. Do you think that a breakers would only charge 30 to 50 quid? Seems like quite a reduction on the brand new cost of the damn thing.

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Dave <invalid

Theres plenty of audi's now in breakers, write off's etc, 50 quid is about right 2nd hand, you will pay whats its worth to be honest.

Ive seen them buy it now for around 50 thats why I said about it, remember dealerships parts are never realistic unless you need somthing small, I brought a new connector pipe this morning from my local Audi Dealer, that connects the Cat to the exhaust, and it cost £8.00 :) genuine part.

btw dovercourt Audi in Bristol must now be owned by Damon Hill, as its changed its name and is called Bristol Audi now, my online bank statement showed Damon Hill as the supplier :)

Ron

Reply to
Ron