Help - battery discharge and noise, 99 C5

I'm hoping someone can help me and recognize what has failed on my 1999 Corvette.

No problems previously. I've had it parked in the garage for about a week. When I went to start it the battery was dead. I plugged in a charger and a clicking sound came from the front of the car, seemed somewhere near the air filter. I couldn't find the source of the clicking but left the charger on for a few hours.

When I came back, the clicking had stopped but there was a high pitched whine/whistle coming from the same area. The battery is not providing enough power to light the underhood lights. I disconnected the battery and the sound stopped.

Even though I can't detect any power in the battery, now the high pitched whine occurs whenever the battery is connected. If I fiddle with the battery connection, I can change the pitch of the whine.

Has anybody seen this before? Any suggestions/theories? What's broken?

On the last day I drove the car prior to parking it I had brought it in for the annual DMV inspection which it passed.

Many thanks for any ideas.

Reply to
charles

You can not trickle charge this battery. You have to hit it hard and then charge it to its correct voltage.

Reply to
Dad

Thanks Dad. On further thinking this through, I think that the battery is now so enfeebled that whatever was clicking before can only whine at this point.

I've disconnected the battery and am giving it a last shot with the charger I have, which is not a full hit device. If that fails then I'll buy a new battery.

The tech at the dealership says that he's seen a consistent 3 year life on batteries in these cars and that's right on target for the one in it now.

Thanks again.

Reply to
charles

Reply to
RicSeyler

I'll have to tell the guy that has my '98, it still has the original battery in it and seems to be doing just fine.

Reply to
Dad

Nothing on and no key in the ignition.

Clicking happened when I first attached the charger. Now the whining occurs when the battery is fully connected.

I'm pretty much putting it down to a dead battery at this point. If it doesn't charge overnight I'll pull it out and either bring it to a full strength charger or just replace it.

At first the whining sound got me concerned that some electrical component had blown and that I'd have to find and replace it or have the car flat bedded somewhere.

We'll see tomorrow.

Reply to
charles

I bought the '99 new in Feb. of '99. In Oct. '02 I replaced the original battery, which had corroded one of its terminals badly, with a Sears' Gold Die-Hard.

I haven't had a chance to use the car much this year and probably sitting too long contributed to the failure.

Reply to
charles

Get yourself a new battery charger and recharge the battery. Get one that will desulphate a battery and it will probably save it.

These cars will discharge a battery very quickly if they are not used regularly. Use a Battery Tender (maintainer) (or your new charger) to keep it charged when it sits for long periods and you will be fine. Otherwise, drive it often like you're supposed to!

You also mentioned the corroded terminal on the original battery. While you're fooling with the battery, check below it to see if any battery acid leaked down onto the computer and wiring which sits directly under the battery tray.

Dave WI

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
RicSeyler

Well after an overnight charge with the battery disconnected with the

1.5 amp charger I've had since grammar school everything is fine.

I think what happened is that I had left the keys on the fob emitter too near the car since it's been parked. I know that in the past it has clicked on and off occasionally, why I had set it not to sound the horn on activation. My theory is that that cycling is what caused the battery drain.

Well I've put the fob in a shielded bag when not in use and I always do try to drive the vette as often as I can.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Reply to
charles

My den is right next to the garage wall..while my keys were in my desk drawer I could hear the Vette locks cycling on and off...I now keep the keys farther away...on the laundry room rack.

ALSO BE CAREFUL...while unloading the Vette with the rear hatch open I tossed the keys onto the console...and a second or two later both doors locked ...I could see the keys but had to climb in throught the back to reach them...now that could have turned into a real problem if the hatch was not open....never leave your keys on the seat or console...

ALSO never give your wife one of those key chain remotes for the garage door..my wfe cycled the door while looking in her large handbag for her cell phone or whatever..from the bedroom at the opposite end of the house...door was open all night.

Reply to
grayfox

What about if it's left in the ignition? Ever have it lock then?

Reply to
Steve Horrillo

No.... but thats a good ting to consider..didn't think of that ..

Reply to
grayfox

Steve Horrillo SPAMMED us again when he feigned interest in this thread by writing a minimal response:

Steve, start the New Year off right and stop SPAMMING us like a sleazy Realtor might do! Your transparency has worn too thin and we are getting annoyed by your SPAMMING. You lend credibility to everything nasty we've ever heard about slimeball realtors.

Reply to
Cool Jet

Don't the C5s have the metal ball in the Fob? On my C4 if I lock the key fob in the car (laying on the seat, etc) all I have to do is shake the car and the doors will unlock.

Reply to
RicSeyler

---snip---

well "Cool Jet", if you want to give your 2¢ ? that's fine, this is an open forum. but you are not the speaker for the entire group. you certainly are not speaking for me. if you don't like seeing someone's post ? (mine included) simply kill-file them and be done with it.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

Key, thanks for giving me your blessing to post my 2=A2 in this open forum. I didn't realize I needed your consent though. By the way, if you read the charter, it's not an open forum for SPAM.

Nor do I portend to be the speaker for the entire group. Just the ones who don't like to be bombarded with SPAM every time your friend Steve posts his maeningless drivel, just so he can post his link again. Strangely enough, from your past posts, I thought you also disliked SPAM. I must be confusing you with someone else who has spoken out against SPAM in the past.

Nor would I ever be tempted too. I don't share your views on SPAM.

Rather than share your apathy Key, I like to point out to SPAMMERS that I don't like their SPAM. If you don't like to see me asking SPAMMERS to stop SPAMMING, you would appear to know your options.

and mine ;-)

Cool Jet

Reply to
Cool Jet

Key, I did indeed miss your point. I mistakenly thought you were defending Steve's SPAMMING and responded accordingly. My apology if I gave the impression that I was speaking on anyone's behalf, other than my own. The new wave of SPAMMERS p's me off by posting absolute drivel, just so they can print a link to their websites. This Steve Horrillo guy posts the same nonsense in several automotive groups that I subscribe to and always with a link to his real estate websites, thinking that he is sneaking his SPAM past the various groups. My apology also for ripping on you. I think we're on the same side of the SPAM issue.

Reply to
Cool Jet